Go Down

Topic: 90VDC motor driver  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

M8ker

For school I am working on a project where I need to control the speed and direction of a 90VDC 1.5A motor. Most of the controllers I can find don't output that much voltage. Does anybody know of one or have an idea of good websites to look?

artisticforge

For school I am working on a project where I need to control the speed and direction of a 90VDC 1.5A motor. Most of the controllers I can find don't output that much voltage. Does anybody know of one or have an idea of good websites to look?
What does this have to do with Arduino?

As an B.S.E.E. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL many decades ago,
I would suggest you rethink your project.

You can do this with control voltage and circuit and electro-mechnical relays or you would need some serious power MOSFET.
What is the power supply for such a motor?

90VDC at 1.5 Amps will kill you if given even the slightest chance.
This is not to be trifled with.
You need to treat it with respect.

M8ker

What does this have to do with Arduino?

As an B.S.E.E. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL many decades ago,
I would suggest you rethink your project.

You can do this with control voltage and circuit and electro-mechnical relays or you would need some serious power MOSFET.
What is the power supply for such a motor?

90VDC at 1.5 Amps will kill you if given even the slightest chance.
This is not to be trifled with.
You need to treat it with respect.
It's for moving a backstop on a press break. A relative encoder is being used to determine position and the arduino will be used to input what distance you want the backstop to be from the clamping action on the press break. This was a capstone project but the department it is for got tired of how long it was taking the other students so me and a friend got hired on to fix and finish it. The optimal scenario will be to make the motor work.

artisticforge

It's for moving a backstop on a press break. A relative encoder is being used to determine position and the arduino will be used to input what distance you want the backstop to be from the clamping action on the press break. This was a capstone project but the department it is for got tired of how long it was taking the other students so me and a friend got hired on to fix and finish it. The optimal scenario will be to make the motor work.
So the motor is not working right now? So basically the press brake is useless at the moment.

M8ker

So the motor is not working right now? So basically the press brake is useless at the moment.
The press break works fine, this is for an automated adjustable backstop.

artisticforge

The press break works fine, this is for an automated adjustable backstop.
how is the backstop moved by the 90VDC motor?

M8ker

how is the backstop moved by the 90VDC motor?
Rack and pinion and linear bearings. Then the encoder is attached to that shaft.

artisticforge

Rack and pinion and linear bearings. Then the encoder is attached to that shaft.
That is what I thought.

I found this while doing some research. Most of the circuit is not needed since you have the arduino to generate the necessary PWM signals. The TIP122 & TIP127 transistor is a power Darlington pair. With proper heat sinking they should be able to handle the 90VDC required by the motor.  You may still need to provide a buffer IC for the PWM Signal from the arduino to the TIP122 & TIP127 transistors.

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/diy-electronics-devices/86517-build-a-dc-motor-speed-controller-circuit/#imgn_0

M8ker

That is what I thought.

I found this while doing some research. Most of the circuit is not needed since you have the arduino to generate the necessary PWM signals. The TIP122 & TIP127 transistor is a power Darlington pair. With proper heat sinking they should be able to handle the 90VDC required by the motor.  You may still need to provide a buffer IC for the PWM Signal from the arduino to the TIP122 & TIP127 transistors.

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/diy-electronics-devices/86517-build-a-dc-motor-speed-controller-circuit/#imgn_0
This is awesome! Thanks for your help!

artisticforge

This is awesome! Thanks for your help!
Just keep me posted on the grade we receive. ;-)

outsider

Saw similar rig on a press brake backstop once that used a PIC16C54, only power element was a triac, I believe the direction control was by triggering the triac only on the positive or negative polarity of the AC. Never had a chance to investigate further.

MarkT

Saw similar rig on a press brake backstop once that used a PIC16C54, only power element was a triac, I believe the direction control was by triggering the triac only on the positive or negative polarity of the AC. Never had a chance to investigate further.
Ah, yes, that sounds like a cheap and hacky approach to the problem, lots of motor vibration but its not
critical for this application.  Not friendly for your mains harmonic content to put a DC load on it!
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up