Seeking Collaboration on a Internet Arduino Device

I'm thinking about creating a arduino that is designed for quickly developing web devices. I was looking into the WizNet drop in network modules and though about creating a arduino compatible development board using them. It would have the bare minimum in arduino components to keep the cost down, it would be programmed using a FTDI cable. I'm looking to try to make it's price close to the arduino itself. If you are interested in working on this project respond below with some ideas. The market for this product would be to create simple stand alone web devices for people who know the arduino environment and don't want to have to learn a bunch of other languages to create a finished product.

Have you checked out the existing ethernet shields?

Something like this: http://www.nuelectronics.com/estore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

It doesn't have many components and many seem to be a duplicate of what is on the lower level (the arduino board level under the shield).

Are you thinking of an arduino board with the ethernet already part of the board?

I ordered a few arduino boards, one of each type I could find to compare them. Boards such as the seeduino use the SMT version of the CPU and have some free board space for the ethernet chip.

I like the idea of keeping the shield compatibility pins on the board but I think you could deviate from the exact board dimensions if needed (to fit the ethernet stuff onboard)

If you are simply thinking about making a wiznet compatible shield, check out this link: http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_21&products_id=83

ps: I ordered one yesterday, I'll let you know when it comes in. I already have a wiznet module.

The point isn't to create another arduino shield but to create one board that has a place to drop in the WizNet module. I want to create something that is meant to be developed for a device and then people can but this thing in an enclosure and be done. I know there are some devices out their that are already ethernet devices but I don't believe they are running the arduino bootloader, except for maybe the botanicalls but that is priced point is higher then the one I'm going for.

I have created a simple board, the wiblocks ZB1, that integrates an XBee radio with
an ATmega168 (or ATmega328). To keep the costs down it can be built with
either an FTDI header. The layout also has pads for an SMD USB interface.

The XBee could easily be replaced with a different communication module.

Information about the ZB1 is at Loading...

If you are interested in a modified ZB1 please send me an email with some
more details about the project.

(* jcl *)

jluciani, what you've done is very similar to my idea...it pretty much is my idea except as you said replace the XBee with a Ethernet module. The more I think about it the easier it seems, I'm pretty much just making a simple arduino with a Ethernet module on the same pcb already hardwired to the proper ports.
Here is the help I'm looking for:

• Tracking down/creating the Eagle Cad library for the Wiznet WIZ811MJ
  • Figuring out how the thing is wired to the arduino (I'm guessing a very easy thing to do)
  • Help creating the schematic (Look over what I have created and make the necessary changes. I'm fairly new to electronics and don't always know when to put a capacitor or resistor in)
  • Help proofing my Eagle layout and board file before I send it out to batchPCB

If anyone feels like they can lend some time (It probably will be very little) to this project, I would really appreciate it. Thank You

-Tim

You probably also want another way to program the board (i.e. USB). We worked on an Arduino ethernet that could be re-programmed over ethernet, and it's tricky. Designing a board with the ATmega and wiznet circuitry on it, though, is probably not too hard.

I was planning on using a FTDI cable or one of the RS232 to TTL converters available from Modern Devices, to put the code on the arduino chip, or you could use an actual arduino without the chip and run the RX and TX ports to the proposed device.

Hi tgregor,
just my thoughts on your post, a very interesting subject:

jluciani, what you've done is very similar to my idea...it pretty much is my idea except as you said replace the XBee with a Ethernet module.[...]

Well, so the solution can be pretty straightforward, using a xport module. If needed you can even "recycle" a XBee enabled board:
http://snipr.com/xbeexport

Here is the help I'm looking for: [...]

I think that if you plan to use the Wiznet WIZ811MJ module you can check Ladyada's website: Ethernet shield
There you will find the schematic of her Ethernet Shield (with Wiznet module), study it and join it with the Arduino one.

If anyone feels like they can lend some time (It probably will be very little) to this project, I would really appreciate it. Thank You

If you come to some point, it will be a pleasure to give suggestions/support!

All the best

C

Here are some of the reasons I'm leaning toward the Wiznet modules:

• Price (Wiznet modules: $15.90, cheapest xport I can find:$28)
  • being able to use the Ethernet Library will make development easier. (can the xport modules use the Ethernet library?)
  • if and when a 2nd version comes out it shouldn't be very difficult to put the Wiznet chip on the board, instead of having the module soldered into a section.

If anyone knows of any reasons why these things don't sound like a good idea please tell me, I know very little about using Ethernet modules with the arduino, I'm learning this as I go along. Thanks for everyone's help thus far, this project seems less and less daunting for a relative newbie, such as myself.
I'm going to try to create the schematic in the next few days and will post it for comments, I'm still looking for the Wiznet module eagle library, I have found the schematic and board file on ladyada's site, I'm having trouble figuring it out, the Wiznet module pins aren't labeled. I also don't know how to create a eagle part from an existing schematic. I've created parts before it was something much simpler though (a RGB LED). If anyone has time to figure it out you can find the schematics and board file here:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/eshield/download.html

...I'm still looking for the Wiznet module eagle library...

Why cannot you copy the wiznet module footprint (and symbol) from Ladyada's schematic?

In the schematic editor select (group!) the Wiznet module, cut it, open your schematic and paste it! This worked for me, at least, in other situations.

C

I found the Wiznet schematic on the board, now I'm going to start trying to create the schematic. It's very complicated on how it's wired up, at least to me anyways. I'm going to do my best figuring it out. It hopefully won't take me too long to understand.

Ok, i'm using the Ethernet shield as a reference. I don't understand where Xport_reset goes on the arduino. Is the xport reset only used for the Xport modules and not the WizNet? Does the WizNet use a reset? if so where would I connect it on the arduino?
The other one i'm confused about is the CTS via, it's marked the /INT pin on the Wiznet module on the schematic, is that another one that doesn't terminate on the arduino? Or am I just missing where the connection is?
If anyone can figure it out, that would be awesome. I think i've gotten most of the schematic done except for those two pins. Once i have gotten those sorted out i'll post the first version of the schematic for people to see and make changes to.

I've found this link, I'm sure it will be some help, i don't have time to read it right now. Although it might answer some of the questions i've had.
http://code.rancidbacon.com/LearningAboutArduinoWIZ810MJ

I was reading more into the specs of the Wiznet WIZ811MJ and this is what is listed under protocols: TCP, UDP, IP, ARP, ICMP, IGMP, PPPoE, MAC. I noticed a lack of HTTP does that mean it will NOT be able to load values from php scripts? or send values to a PHP script? if that is the case then i'm going to need to look into a different Ethernet module. or does the arduino Ethernet library take care of the lack of HTTP?

Thanks for everyone's help

-Tim

HTTP goes over TCP/IP.
So the Wiznet Can access PHP scripts (and pretty much anything else your browser can).

Thank you, I thought that was the case, but just wanted to make sure. what a stupid mistake that would have been.

Ok, i'm using the Ethernet shield as a reference. I don't understand where Xport_reset goes on the arduino. Is the xport reset only used for the Xport modules and not the WizNet? Does the WizNet use a reset? if so where would I connect it on the arduino?
The other one i'm confused about is the CTS via, it's marked the /INT pin on the Wiznet module on the schematic, is that another one that doesn't terminate on the arduino? Or am I just missing where the connection is?

• reset pin (XPORT_RESET signal on schematic):

The XPort and the WizNet's reset signal are connected in 2 different ways. From Ladyada's website ( soldering instructions):
"This step assumes you want to use a WIZnet Module

Finally, you will want to connect the Reset pin of the module to the Reset line of the Arduino, that way it will be reset when the button is pressed. This is necessary unless you want to reset the module by connecting it to a 'standard' output pin."

• CTS pin (CTS signal on schematic):
    (WIZ811 datasheet) Active low interrupt output.

For what I 've understood it seems not mandatory, but I would connect it . You can use one of the 2 Arduino's interrupt inputs.

Hope this helps,

C

I have created the first version of the schematic for comments and corrections.

Here is the link to the photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/22207928@N04/3202032398/

The jumper and connector that interrupt the power supply is if you want to put a switch in. if not you can solder the jumper closed and then it will always be on if power is present.

if anyone wants the eagle file sent to you PM or post your email and i'll send it to you.

Thanks for the help
-Tim

Hi,
I don't know if you saw my post about reset and cts pin connections, anyway just few comments about your schematic (which seems basically ok)

1. why no decoupling capacitors on the atmega?
  2. are you planning to use headers for the atmega unused pin or leave them unconnected?
  3. if you use anyway a .1" jumper, the solder jumper can be avoided. But it won't hurt nobody leaving it in! :slight_smile:

and 2 questions about your project:

Did you already think to a possible enclosure for the board or you plan to leave it in "arduino form factor"?
And about licensing of your work: did you already choose a way to do this? Will you release everything of the project or it will have some closed parts?

bye!

C

I got the comment about the reset pin and cts, I got a response from ladyada about them so I hooked up the reset to pin like in the instructions for the ethernet shield. If you think i should do it differently tell me what to do and I can make the changes.

1. I'm new to this and don't have any formal training in electronics, I'm about to receive my bachelor of fine arts to give you a clue of where i'm coming from. Where should I put these decoupling caps on the board?
  2. I'm going to put .1" connectors on the board for the end user to decide. for simplicity I'm leaving them out until I have gotten everything else on the schematic figured out (it makes it easier to read and less cluttered)
  3. I'll probably leave the jumper there, as you said, it doesn't hurt.

Once I have a working prototype on a PCB I'll think about enclosures, and once I have found the enclosure I like I'll probably redesign the pcb to fit it, with proper mounting holes. I will also keep a simple rectangular design for people to use for their own enclosures or applications.
As for licensing I feel like it should follow the arduino philosophy and be open source. I have been looking into releasing it under a Share-alike license. I feel like making it open source will bring the changes and updates In a much more timely manor that I would be able to alone. Also if it weren't for this forum and all of the amazing people who have contributed, I would still be in the "I have an idea" phase.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed. Without you I wouldn't be able to do this.

-Tim
p.s. I created a code.google.com site for this project, i'll be putting all of the source file up there for right now, until I get my own site up and running. I'll repost all of the comments there as well and still keep this forum topic active as I feel like it will still get the most traffic. here is the link Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

You know, if you really want to minimize costs, you should go all the way to Wiznet bare chips instead of modules. The W5100 "guts" of the 811 module is only $5 or so. (although $16 for a full module seems like a pretty good deal...)

Is there a particular reason that you have the wiznet RESET connected to one of the PORTD pins ? It would be nice from a "direct coding" point of view to have all of portd available for "other use" while all of the wiznet is on portb...