ADC Accuracy

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble to read accuracy values from analog inputs. Using a modified version of AnalogInput example and a 0.88V in the analog input 3 I'm reading a value of 699 that's iqual to 0.75V.

Now I'm using analogReference(INTERNAL); but I tried with analogReference(EXTERNAL) setting AREF pin to 5V and had the same 0.750V.

My 5VDC source is a 7805 wired to a 12VDC source. I don't have a ocilloscope to see it is flat on 5V then I changed 12VDC to another source and nothing change.

I have a atmega328 in a breadboard. I changed the chip, moved it to arduino board and the same 0.75V was read.

That's my code:

int sensorPin =A3; // select the input pin for the potentiometer
int sensorValue =0; // variable to store the value coming from the sensor

void setup() {
// declare the ledPin as an OUTPUT:
Serial.begin(9600);
analogReference(INTERNAL);
}

void loop() {

// read the value from the sensor:
sensorValue = analogRead(sensorPin);
// turn the ledPin on
Serial.print(sensorValue);
Serial.print(" - ");
Serial.println((sensorValue* 1.10) / 1024.00);
delay(sensorValue);
}

What is your board's +5vdc read exactly on a good digital multimeter? Most regulators have a +/- tolerance and the exact value has a bearing on the ADC 'accuracy'. Even switching from the on-board 5 volt regulator to using USB power can change the ADC readings proportional to the specific difference in voltage from those two sources.

Lefty

I tested my multimeter and it reading OK. Because some variation on the source I changed from external AREF to INTERNAL.

thanks
Alex

My 5VDC source is a 7805 wired to a 12VDC source. ...... then I changed 12VDC to another source and nothing change.

No nothing should, the regulator is producing the same voltage output independent of the voltage source driving it (within limits) that is it's job, it is what you expect.

Nothing changed in arduino reading.

I change de source bacause some variation on GND can cause accuracy variation. So, I tested with two diferente DC sources.

Thanks
Alex

some variation on GND can cause accuracy variation

No.

alexxfiles:
I tested my multimeter and it reading OK. Because some variation on the source I changed from external AREF to INTERNAL.

thanks
Alex

You didn't answer my question, what is the exact value of the board's +5vdc reading from a mulitmeter? The answer isn't OK or not OK, it's a number.

Lefty

I can't reproduce your problem. Feeding in 0.88V into A3 I get this:

818 - 0.88
817 - 0.88
819 - 0.88
817 - 0.88
818 - 0.88
818 - 0.88
819 - 0.88
818 - 0.88
820 - 0.88

Grumpy_Mike:

some variation on GND can cause accuracy variation

No.

I had issues using other ADC chips, but this is not the question.

Alex

retrolefty:

alexxfiles:

thanks
Alex

You didn't answer my question, what is the exact value of the board's +5vdc reading from a mulitmeter? The answer isn't OK or not OK, it's a number.

Lefty

5V.

Thanks
Alex

Thanks for the try. What is your Board/uC ?

Thanks
Alex

Uno Rev 3 with an Atmega328.