TVout: NTSC and PAL Composite Video Output.

Should we expect to be able to create a portrait screen - eg 96x128? Seems the current TVout lib doesn't like it. The first row of the display is positioned up beyond the viewable part of the TV screen. I did a simple TV.print and only the bottom half of the text was visible.

Cheers,

TvOut seems a marvelous solution to my specialized Arduino need. I have succeeded in making an Arduino into what I call a Grobot rover, from a child's riding toy... but well-timed composite output is slightly beyond my programming and workshop skills and tech.

Are there resources on the Arduino forums to hire freelance Arduino video experts?

I need a variation of TvOut that allows me to sync a non-genlock camera to another genlockable device expecting only Black (as opposed to Black Burst, tho any advanced sync signal will work too).

My design approach to the problem is to slightly increment/dec. the time length of a single field by a useful number of uSeconds, thus the Arduino-genlocked device does not loose sync and regain it, but shifts slightly in time until I can confirm full sync between camera and device by means of a dual trace scope.

This device is for an indie feature film - an Arduino-friendly enterprise with tolerances for slightly-less-than-perfect specs, and a budget to match.

I am having the following problem...'TVOUT' does not name a type in the DEMONTSC.pde File

Why?

Charlie

TVout, not TVOUT - C is case-sensitive.

G.

I am sorry, I just looked again, it is:

TVout TV;

not TVOUT like I typed earlier. I simply opened the demo and tried to verify it before uploading it. It is not working as I downloaded it. I made no changes to the code.

DemoNTSC from the TVoutBeta1.zip

Help.

Charlie

Did you install the library correctly into your Arduino environment?

I hadn't installed a custom library in a while, so I went to Arduino help pages and followed the directions exactly.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Charlie

I think I misled with my last post... I hadn't done a custom library install in a while so I used the procedure from arduino.cc to do the install, and the problem is still there. I used the correct procedure, but TVout TV;

is still kicking the previously mentioned error.

Charlie

Do other libraries work? I never had any issues using the library after simply copying it to the Library folder and restarting the IDE. Methinks your problem might be unrelated to the TVout library...

Are you on Windows, Linux or Mac?

G.

windows xp, arduino ide 22, and never had any problems with other libraries...

???

Charlie

@fiero79, please ensure that your directory structure is this:

Arduino (your sketchbook directory)
    |
    +--libraries
          |
          +--TVout
          |
          +--TVoutfonts
          |
          +--pollserial

Restart Arduino after you install the TVout libraries in this manner. If you still have a compilation problem, please post it exactly using copy/paste so we can see what is going on.

I built this plugged it in the tv and nothing happened. I cheked my circuit, centre pin through 1k to pin 9 ,centre pin through 470r to pin 7 ,. For some reason the pal woks better than NTSC though I live in canada where NTSC is used. see attached pics for result of tests. in pal i can barely see the text and it moves diagonally. can someone please help make it work?

After updating to Arduino IDE 22 I think that someone needs to address the issue of where custom libraries go. I put the Files for TVout into the sketch folder \My Documents\Arduino\libraries, and that didn't work. I added it to the C:\Program Files\arduino\arduino-0022\libraries directory, and it works now. at least it compiles now, I will try it with the hardware later.

Charlie

Hi, I would like to ask if is possible to mix output of Arduino TVout and composite signal of videocamera?
I would write a bit of information superimposed on the camera image.
See attachment for example.
Thanks.
Bye bye.

cam_arduino.jpg

Hi, I would like to ask if is possible to mix output of Arduino TVout and composite signal of videocamera?
I would write a bit of information superimposed on the camera image.

Yes, the Video Experimenter shield allows you to do exactly that (and many other things).

This project shows text/graphics generated from TVout being overlayed on a composite signal:
http://nootropicdesign.com/projectlab/2011/03/20/text-and-graphics-overlay/

Very good :slight_smile:
Compliment for your job :slight_smile:
But, do you know the cpu charge with tvout?
Arduino can work togheter tvout with other processes for example calculation of GPS coordinate?
Thanks.
Bye.

The CPU load is surprisingly workable:

Using the TVout lib, I made a spectrum analyzer- which not only performs the TVout, but also manages to do the sampling and fourier transformations in realtime.

So, there's PLENTY for some GPS calcs...

Very very good:)
My project is beginning to have all the requirements to take off.
Thanks.

I agree, there's plenty of CPU time for most applications. I have written complex video games with lots of geometric calculation, and all my games have needed to be artificially slowed down with delays so that the player can keep up. XD

Hi, I must only superimpose strings in another video source.
For my needs, Video experimenter is too big.
Is possible to have electrical scheme for build a small pcb?
I must using arduino mini for space exigence and weight.
Thanks.