Debugging in Arduino

Dear all, is there any program which can help in debugging the program?

Also are there any simulators for the Arduino?

Tnx

I am using AVR Dragon/AVR Studio for debugging Arduino programs. Works quite well.

felis, does someone need a programmer to debug? I'm considering it. Is the software free? Thanks.

AVR Studio is free. AVR Dragon is a debugger as well as programmer.

So if I had the AVR Dragon I would be able to poke around in arduino SRAM and Flash, stack and hash pointers, flags and unassembled code, correct?

What is hash pointer?

I have relatively good luck debugging Arduino sketches (well, libraries) by compiling on a unix system and poking at them with a standard debugger (gdb, etc) You have to create a phony framework of arduino core routines, and watch out for differences in the size of "int", but it is pretty helpful...

noticed the other discussion in this subgroup - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,50790.0.html

liudr:
So if I had the AVR Dragon I would be able to poke around in arduino SRAM and Flash, stack and hash pointers, flags and unassembled code, correct?

Yes

Awesome! I'm saving up money right now! Dragon, see you in 10 years!

I'm saving up ... Dragon, see you in 10 years!

A dragon is only about $50...
I wish the debug protocol were public, and an Arduino could be used to debug another arduino...

an Arduino could be used to debug another arduino...

That's exactly what I'm working on right now, well not a debugger as per the Dragon/JTAG, but a monitor.

Rob

the arduino create wont load >:( >:( >:( >:(

@thehightechighcoder, you have asked your question in a seven years dead Thread. Seven years ago there was no such thing as Arduino Create.

There is a special section of the Forum for Arduino Create - ask you question there.

And if you want help you should provide a lot more information about what you have tried to do and exactly what happened.

...R