Controlling a Brushed ESC

Hello, I am new to ESC programming and I wanted to control a 3V DC motor with this ESC:

https://www.amazon.com/Bustophedon-Brushed-Speed-Controller-Truck/dp/B017TRZ6IW/ref=pd_sbs_21_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TS6DHGRBA2V1C4PWMHRD

I am having trouble setting it up and I can't find documentation or guides for brushed ESCs. I am using an Arduino Uno, please advise me on how to set up and program it.
This is testing for building an ROV and I hope to extend it to use a 12V DC motor.

Also, I have a 9V battery available for use and the power to the Arduino, if this helps.

Please help me on this, it's urgent. Even just code helps; I think I've got the wiring down now.

Thank you.

You are using the Servo library right?

What have you tried so far? You understand ESCs have arming sequences for safety - they wont
just start at full power.

I am using the Servo library. What I can't figure out is how to arm the ESC. I got it set up correctly today, but it just keeps powering the motor and un-powering it- slowly.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Groxic:
I am using the Servo library. What I can't figure out is how to arm the ESC. I got it set up correctly today, but it just keeps powering the motor and un-powering it- slowly.

Have you experimented with a servo tester like these?http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-multi-Servo-tester-3CH-ECS-speed-controler-Power-CHANNELS-CCPM-meter-/172214381958?hash=item2818c6ed86:g:x0sAAOSwq19XBdIG
A bit of a play would quickly identify a reliable arming sequence.

Try using 0 degrees for a couple of seconds then slowly ramping up?

And you have a 2S ESC (ie requires 7.4V LiPo battery as power source), and claim to be
driving a 3V motor. I don't think your motor will survive at that power level and I'm sure the
ESC needs more than 3V to work.

I basically have the circuit down, but not how to arm the ESC.

Here is the code (I found it in a guide for a brushless ESC that says to send values of 2000 and 700 and listen for sounds, it looks useful):

// This program is supposed to control the speed of a brushed motor through an ESC with the Servo library, input sent through Serial.

#include <Servo.h>

Servo ESC;

int value = 0; // value sent to the ESC

void setup() {
  ESC.attach(13);
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  ESC.write(value); // send the value to the ESC, always starts at 0

if (Serial.available()) {
    value = Serial.parseInt(); // read a number from the Serial monitor is it's available
  }

}

I will try to send different values with the code above to see if there are any results. What would you suggest I send?

I have attached the circuit as a PNG.

I just use the "Knob" example in the Servo examples.

You need a pot to use it but it works just like a throttle on a r/c .

Maybe alter the sketch to print the values to the serial monitor.

Nothing seems to work. I can't figure out how to arm it. Maybe I should try a different ESC?

Hi,
OP circuit;

What is the voltage of the battery and why is it connected to 5V of the mega and not Vin?

PLEASE LABEL EVERYTHING ON YOUR DIAGRAM, WHAT IS THE RED BOX THE POWER IS EMINATIING FROM???

Tom.... :o