Arduino Power Supplies

I actually use what I make and with one exception where I didn't have the proper sized fuse and did smoke a power transformer due to a shorted diode because I didn't utilize the proper transient protection... I've Never had a problem.
I've built a few power supplies and re-purposed many different pieces of electronics equipment for a long time and there are some things that are necessary, one is adequately protecting the place where you live. It's called "Due Diligence" Or CYA.
As to improper devices being sold from the Asian vendors...
That unfortunately is a serious issue with little chance for a solution
If it doesn't look or feel right I just chuck it... if it has no other value and mark that vendor off my list.
Life is too short to get caught up in un-solvable little details, much easier to just put them in their place and move on.
This was the reason why I asked the question about the Diatribe to begin with.
If anyone has been harmed by those fakes I feel sorry for them however that is the way life teaches us what is right and what is wrong.
It is my experience that there are some Deals that shouldn't be pursued and IF I owned an Iphone or any other Expensive piece of electronics...
I would make Dam*ed sure that what I used on Any of MY equipment was tested proven and reliable because ultimately...
It's MY responsibility If it is defective or a phony.
Trying to get a return on an item of that nature is nearly impossible, So I have a simple rule.
I never buy any accessory of that nature that I would feel bad about throwing away as tossing the thing is usually much easier than returning it and certainly less bother than trying to get any other kind of satisfaction.

Bpb