Motor connection help

Hi everyone,
I am very grateful that you have opened this post, and considered helping me! :slight_smile:

I recently bought a robotic development platform, and the documentation that came along were for the old version of the kit! :fearful: The new version has new motors with encoders. The hardware i then bought does not work with what i bought... The firm i bought it from is located in china, therefore i will try you guys, to see if you have a solution...

The motor wiring is as follows:

(1) BLACK = negative -
(2) RED = positive +
(3) YELLOW = Hall sensor Vcc
(4) GREEN = Hall sensor Gnd
(5) BLUE = Hall sensor A vout
(6) ORANGE = Hall sensor B vout

My hardware is as follows:

(1) Motors 12V Low noise DC Motor 146RPM w/Encoder - DFRobot
(2) Microcontroller Romeo V2 - a Robot Control Board with Motor Driver (Compatible with Arduino) - DFRobot
(3) Motor controller MDV 2x2A DC Motor Controller - DFRobot
(4) Power source is 12v 7a car battery

I have wired the positive and negative from both motors to my 2A motor controller, and i think the Gnd and Vcc from the motors are Gnd on microcontroller and 5v on microcontroller???
What is wire 5 and 6, and do i need to purchase more hardware???
And how do i control the motor controller? If you look at the link, it has several pins on it that is meant to be connected to the microcontroller.

Sincerely,
VictorAchton :slight_smile:

Your motor controller is based on the well documented L298 chip, often covered in this forum.

"logic supply power" is 5v coming from the Arduino. "Motor power" is your 12v supply. "Common Ground" should connect to your main Power ground and to the Arduino ground. Each motor has 2 control pins. One is clearly for PWM speed control. The other must be for motor direction but the sample software is poorly documented. E1,E2 are the PWM pins in the software. M1,M2 probably are direction.

The hardware i then bought does not work with what i bought.

You can relax a bit. The stuff will work fine once you understand it properly. You need to read up on H-Bridge motor control and using the L298. Search and you shall find.

The motor description mentions "Encoder Resolution: 13 PPR" and "Two phase hall encoder"
Pin 3 = 5+ logic voltage Pin 4 = Gnd
Pin 5 & 6 goto to pins on your Arduino to count motor revolutions. You need more specific documentation.

Which are the motor control pins on the motor? And thank you for your reply! :slight_smile:

Which are the motor control pins on the motor?

I am not sure what you mean. Brushed DC motors are 'controlled' by the power input. In practive it is difficult to vary voltage so we vary current instead. That's the reason for the PWM input which is normally a square wave with a varied duty cycle.

Looking again at your motor I noticed a stall current of 3.6A, too high for the controller. You need a higher current controller or lower power motors. What is the application?

(1) BLACK = negative -
(2) RED = positive +
(3) YELLOW = Hall sensor Vcc
(4) GREEN = Hall sensor Gnd
(5) BLUE = Hall sensor A vout
(6) ORANGE = Hall sensor B vout

(1) Is motor supply negative
(2) Is motor supply positive
(3) Is positive supply for Hall Effect Encoder
(4) Is GND supply for Hall Effect Encoder
(5) and (6) are the outputs from the encoder.
The two outputs labeled A and B means that they are phased outputs, both have same number of pulses per turn of the shaft, but they are phase shifted with respect to each other by 90deg, this allows you to sense speed and direction of rotation.
You can run and control the motor without using (3,4,5,6).

However I'm not sure about PWM controlling a DC brushless, CPU fans are DC Brushless but they use an extra input to control their speed.

DC Brushless motors have their own pulsing circuits to drive the rotor around like an AC synchronous motor.

Tom

Why do you think they are brushless? That would be most unusual for robot wheel motors.

Brushless motors require a Brushless ESC such as used on model airplanes and helicopters.

Deeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr homer simpson moment, brushed does not equal brushless.
I was late at night, I should have gone to sleepy bo bo a lot earlier.
Tom. :~ :sleeping: :sleeping: