Error with diecimilia

Hi all !
I got an old diecimilia. The guy who gave it to me said it's working but it has been a long time, maybe one year, since he didn't use it.
Just to be sure here is what I did : installed a fresh windows 7 installation on a free computer. Installed the latest FTDI drivers. Plugged the arduino diecimilia. The board is detected and correctly showing up in the Serial port list.

I then load the blink project, and select Diecimilia as the board to be programmed.
When I try to upload the sketch, it fails with an avrdude error.

The power led on the board is ON, and when I click the upload button, the RX led is blinking but not the TX.
When I power up the board, both leds blink twice so I guess RX and TX should be working properly.

What's next ? ;( Anything I should do, like trying to upgrade the bootloader with another card I have (UNO..Working properly) if that's even possible ?

thanks !

Tools --> Serial Port --> select the appropriate Port from the pull-down list

[I had *stk500_getsync: not in sync... and stk500_disable: protocol error* Probably similar to your trouble?]

1. Verify the chip wasn't upgraded to a 328 at some point.
  2. Do a loop back test:
    http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html

Thanks a lot, I'll try that asap :slight_smile:

OK, so the loopback test works great.

I also tried, on some old forum suggestion, to plug/unplug the board at different times, change de COM port from 7 to 1, change the baud rate of the COM port, try to hit the reset button at some point after clicking 'upload', etc... Maybe the board is fried but I'm not sure because the 'L' led is blinking very fast. I read somewhere that this led should blink when the avr is working properly. Is it true ?

Also, here is the output :
Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
D:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CD:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega168 -cstk500v1 -P\.\COM1 -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\henri\AppData\Local\Temp\build3999938749175785644.tmp\Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "D:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \.\COM1
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 19200
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done. Thank you.

enjoyaol:
Maybe the board is fried but I'm not sure because the 'L' led is blinking very fast. I read somewhere that this led should blink when the avr is working properly. Is it true ?

The L led is connected to pin 13, so it flashes to whatever the currently running program tells it to do.

Try manually resetting. Press reset 1-2 seconds after the "Binary Sketch Size" message when uploading. You may have to play with the time a few times before it works.

Loop back tells you the FT232RL chip is working correctly. If you have an extra ATmega laying around, you could try swapping that.

Thanks. I tried the reset when the Binary Sketch Size appears but with no luck. I'll try again. I'll try to get my hand on a new ship to see if mine is fried.
Thanks !

How about getting the guy who gave it to you to see if it works on his PC?

These two errors
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
are what I got/get with the wrong Serial Port selected (but nothing else.)

Problem with that error message is, it is too generic to really point to an issue. The only thing it tells you is that avrdude was unable to communicate with the target. Why it couldn't communicate is a pretty large number of reasons. (All which most people say "I checked" when listed out. Funny that most of the time, it was one of those reasons.)

Well, thanks to this page http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP I managed to reprogramme the bootloader of the diecimilia using my Uno. And now, guess what, it works !!
Thanks all for your suggestions though.