Im Sorry.....R.I.P.

This is the ATmega168 that i BitBang loaded the Bootloader on it by hacking a 2009 has given its best service to me until i was struggling with a circuit and in tension i FORGOT to unplug the pin's of the clone loaded with this CHip from Breadboard where high AC electricity was running.

2nd ATmega that i killed in last 1.5 year's both have been 168's, The first i killed not that badly while i was Boot-loading it with Parallel Programmer.

Oops, that's the hole the magic smoke escapes from.

Rob

Hi Sir Rob , can you elaborate what is in the chip at that point? apart from silicon

Mostly plastic, and some very fine wires connecting the chip to the pins. Some good pictures here: Integrated circuit - Wikipedia

Mostly plastic

there's a bio degradable plastic type material too , do any of these guys manufacturing IC's use it?

Graynomad is right. Internally the most of integrated circuits only work with magic steam. If you have shortcut or something in that way, the magic steam gets out of the IC. But not only ICs have that kind of steam, also electrolytic capacitors have it! Muddle the pins and you see, what it meens. :wink:
Kids, don´t try this at home!

That chip's been fragged! :smiley:

Back in tech school (1991) I remember a student hooked up a 555 backward or something on his breadboard; somehow the magic smoke didn't escape, but it did heat up to the point that it melted the surround breadboard and embedded itself permanently. Once he figured out his mistake though, and corrected the circuit, it worked fine enough for him to finish! 555s are pretty durable, I guess.

But I doubt that even they could withstand what happened to this poor ATMega...heh. :slight_smile:

Graynomad is right. Internally the most of integrated circuits only work with magic steam.

But why it is called Magic Steam any explanation to that ,any specific composition of that smoke that makes Mr,Rob define it like this or its only this that it happens due to fumes(because fine wires burn) within the chip that become stuck in a closed frame and blast out?

Back in tech school (1991) I remember a student hooked up a 555 backward

Some old memories :stuck_out_tongue: revived!

Following the function of a steam machine, it is an old (but good) joke of technicans. If the steam gets out, it can't work.

cr0sh:
Back in tech school (1991) I remember a student hooked up a 555 backward or something on his breadboard; somehow the magic smoke didn't escape, but it did heat up to the point that it melted the surround breadboard and embedded itself permanently. Once he figured out his mistake though, and corrected the circuit, it worked fine enough for him to finish! 555s are pretty durable, I guess.

Good one, I'd have framed that breadboard! I once saw a power transistor in a TO-220 package that we'd temporarily soldered onto the board without its heatsink for a "quick" test desolder itself and fall onto the floor when the test went a little too long. Installed it again properly and it kept on working!

Nice shirt, BTW XD

But why it is called Magic Steam any explanation to that ,any specific composition of that smoke that makes Mr,Rob define it like this or its only this that it happens due to fumes(because fine wires burn) within the chip that become stuck in a closed frame and blast out?

As sth77 points out it's an in-joke; there's no actual steam or smoke inside the chips....OR IS THERE?????

Chris

it's an in-joke; there's no actual steam or smoke inside the chips....OR IS THERE?????

My Dad brought us up by making and selling circuit's, Didn't hear it from him ever will tell him :wink: :wink: :smiley:

I once saw a power transistor in a TO-220 package that we'd temporarily soldered onto the board without its heatsink for a "quick" test desolder itself and fall onto the floor when the test went a little too long.

I have experience in blasting that too. :grin: :grin:

Didn't hear it from him ever

Might be a western thing.

Rob

I feel sorry for the poor chip. I did a project 15 year ago. I was building a PSU display board and here a picture.

I don't why I keep it. Hmm... recycle the parts, maybe.

Might be a western thing.

Acceptable! but i keep him addressed with some fun stuff from Western states :wink: but these days it has become hard to entertain him because he kinda doesn't have fun!(may be he's turned sufficiently old for it :smiley: :grin:)

I don't why I keep it. Hmm... recycle the parts, maybe.

May be recycle , Are you talking about malfunctioned chip here? if yes how come?

I was talking about the resistors and caps. They can be re-use. The chips are ... garbage

Yes that is true! Techone.