serial port not found by mountain lion

Hi,

I can't get my mac to correctly assign my arduino a serial port. I have downloaded the latest drivers. The mac does recognise that something is plugged in, if I use USB prober I get the following information:

Full Speed device @ 2 (0x1D100000): ............................................. Composite device: "USB-Serial Controller"

In the arduino application the serial port for the usb is not present. Any advice?

Thanks.

What Arduino board do you have and where did you buy it?

What does System Report show on USB when the board is connected?

I got it from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120802352134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Yeah, I know, you get what you pay for, but I only needed it as a fairly simple controller and the seller had very good feedback.

The system profiler says:

USB-Serial Controller:

Product ID: 0x2303
Vendor ID: 0x067b (Prolific Technology, Inc.)
Version: 3.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
Location ID: 0x1d100000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

Is that what you meant?

Thanks.

Prolific has notoriously bad support for OS X.

All I can say is: "Good Luck."

That is useful information to know, thanks. I have windows installed on a boot camp for reasons such as these so I am switching over.

I still seem to be having similar issues, in that it is recognised but instead of being under a port in devices as an arduino it is listed under "other devices" and wont accept the drivers in the way in which the online installation instructions suggest it should.

I have windows 8, and have followed the instructions to enable the unsigned drivers and downloaded the latest FDTI drivers as well as the arduino software package.

Unfortunately I didn't get much time to fiddle with it due to the whole having to go to work thing, but my plan is to just uninstall everything and start again when I get home and see if I can get it to accept some drivers. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Do you think it is a faulty device/wire, or is it worth spending time attempting to get it running?

Thanks.

bfashaw:
, and have followed the instructions to enable the unsigned drivers and downloaded the latest FDTI drivers as well as the arduino software package.

Unfortunately you bought a cheap (probably non-functional) knock-off, not an Arduino. So the neither the Arduino instructions nor FTDI drivers will do anything for your board.

bfashaw,

Maybe you should download the drivers from Prolific Technology:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?pcid=41&showlevel=0041-0041