Suggestion - New forum for circuit schematics.

Wouldn't it be great to have a forum dedicated to circuit schematics for general comment, help requests, reference and just plain-old showing-off?

I'd suggest we prefer people to post in either of one or two of the most popular formats - perhaps EAGLE and something else? - for ease of amendment by other posters.

Comments please.

Paul.

Seems like those can easily go into the Hardware development forum without much trouble...I could be wrong though.

Allot of the time this kind of this is in the hardware development side of exhibition side. If its not there its in links to there main writeup page for the project. Often on there own web page or on Instrucables.com.
http://www.instructables.com/

But i can see the benefit of a one stop place for just parts lists and schematics. Easy to sort threw and find any projects that have already been done so you don't end up repeating someone's idea.

Yep, sure those places would be right for lots of circumstances, but I'd like to have a place where I could just post a schematic and I think there's a big gap in the boards for that. I'd like to put up a shcematic and say "I've been thinking about this, do you think it could be done better?" or "before I blow myself up, are these resistors about right?" or "I've built up this part of a circuit diagram and I'd like to share it with the community". I'm thinking that each post would be focused around a schematic - and there isn't anything for that now.

It would build up into a great resource - I'd love to browse a forum like that. I'm getting geekily excited just thinking about it.

I'd be happy to administer it. (I always regret saying that :slight_smile: )

Paul.

Why don't you just start a thread or something called "Post your schematics" or "Schematic Help Thread"? You can let people post their schematics and ask questions, etc. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the input so far.

Addressing TchnclFl's point:
This is about circuit diagrams so the logical area is Hardware.

These are the Hardware sub-areas on the forum ...

News - N/A
FAQ - N/A
Workshops - N/A
Bar Sport -N/A
Uno Punto Zero - N/A
Exhibition - This is the only place in Hardware. Looking ahead, once there's lots of schematics, how would I filter to just find schematics? Also, the Exhibition section is for showing off finished projects but a schematics area is partly about browsing through WIPs for knowledge, inspiration and entertainment, partly about offering alternatives to the original poster for improvement and partly about helping to create something quite new.

For me then, a thread wouldn't work even if there was an appropriate area to host it in (which I don't think there is). I appreciate that starting a thread would at least be a beginning, but I don't think it would work.

Addressing everyone reading this:
Come on! You must see the possibilities. I have floated the idea, is there any support as well as critical comment please? Speak up for this idea if you like it or it won't happen.

Paul.

I'm sorry, but if you were to want a thread, wouldn't the Hardware Development Forum be an ideal place? Are you not using the schematics to develop hardware? :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm just saying that you could start a thread for now, and maybe if it's a big enough thing, a forum could be made?

Sorry, yes, I missed the Hardware/Development area. That would be the best place as part of an existing forum.

If these forums supported nested comments I agree that setting up a thread would work. Unfortunately it doesn't so comments are going to get separated from the original pictures. Imagine just 50 pictures with comments everywhere. It wouldn't work, then because no one used it because it was dysfunctional that would be justification for someone to say "We don't need a forum for this because no-one uses it". Do you see my point?

Paul.

What do you think?

I think the right place for this kind of stuff is the playground
a schematic by itself doesn't say much unless there is a small tutorial and a piece of code

m