Can I replace the FT232R with FT231X/FT230X?

Graynomad:
Short answer, AFAIK there's no reason not to use them. I've just laid out aboard with the FT232R but am thinking of changing it to use the 230X........
EDIT: Another difference, nobody seems to have stock of the 230X. That's a worry if this is a product.

Rob

I agree with Rob....you should use them, and I can't find the 230X either!

Actually, you might want to try to find the FT230X at Mouser Electronics (mouser.com) because they have an extremely wide variety of components.

Well, I see now that the 230X has no DTR, only CTS... the 231X has DTR

Good point Lefty, the 230 only has RTS, that used to be OK for auto reset I think but I'm not sure these days. The 231 has all the signals so presumably it will toggle DTR in the same way as the 232 does.

you might want to try to find the FT230X at Mouser Electronics

I just did an Octopart search, it shows no stock anywhere. So I checked Mouser directly, 8000 in stock at $2.75. I guess Octopart isn't up to date although to be fair it's marked as a new product. Octopart normally my first port of call when looking for a part.

Rob

Graynomad:
Good point Lefty, the 230 only has RTS, that used to be OK for auto reset I think but I'm not sure these days. The 231 has all the signals so presumably it will toggle DTR in the same way as the 232 does.

you might want to try to find the FT230X at Mouser Electronics

I just did an Octopart search, it shows no stock anywhere. So I checked Mouser directly, 8000 in stock at $2.75. I guess Octopart isn't up to date although to be fair it's marked as a new product. Octopart normally my first port of call when looking for a part.

Rob

I believe for legacy reasons that IDE and/or AVRDUDE pulses both RTS and DTR to initate the auto reset function.

Lefty

(some redundancy here)

The Duemilanove used RTS thru a resistor (which was not installed) or DTR thru a cap to create a reset.

If RTS is still output, it would seem that the FT230X could work.

FT231X still supports DTR

Be a nice price drop from the $4.50 for the FT232RL

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/FT230XS-R/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvVkErl6zY%252bqR%252b6A%252bu%2F1HB5 $2.04
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/FT231XS-R/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvVkErl6zY%252bqfBUiQa5NfR7 $2.12
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/FT232RL-REEL/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs5ceO8zL%252bTxyQLQIH6hE7q $4.50

leadless packages appear to be in stock, SSOP parts not.

I'll go with the 231X. Where can I download its EagleCad part? The latest version has only 232 and 230...

Im not sure, but try

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en537026&redirects=cad

If the site I suggested does not work, I do not have a clue on where else to go....We might have to do some research on it.

Make your own part. Don't ask me how though because I don't use Eagle, but it's usually a pretty easy procedure with these programs...oh hang on, we're talking about Eagle here :slight_smile:

Rob

Couldn't find a part... I guess I could take some other SSOP-20 part and edit it...

That might be worth a try.

You said there is a 230 part? I'd grab that and change the footprint, at least most of the pins will have the right names.

Rob

You can definitely use the FT230X to communicate with & reprogram an ATMega; as others have said there's no DTR on the chip but AVRDude pulses RTS so just tie it the same way and all works well.

I ordered a MicroFTX (MicroFTX) to evaluate the chip and it's been working reliably on various breadboarded designs for a few weeks now.

Regarding the availability -- early versions of the X chips have a USB bug that's supposedly been resolved with the new Rev D chips that are just coming out. I actually got an email from Mouser on Friday that the chips I ordered in October should be shipping the 16th; I just checked DigiKey and they say they'll have them on the 13th.

magagna:
You can definitely use the FT230X to communicate with & reprogram an ATMega; as others have said there's no DTR on the chip but AVRDude pulses RTS so just tie it the same way and all works well.

Well said...good idea.

Thanks for the first-hand knowledge magagna.

Rob

Can find them in stock :frowning:
They only ship in January 2013 at Mouser.

I guess I'll stick with the 232 for now.

Sorry about that! At least it will work.ß

I just received notification from Mouser that they've finally got the FT230X in stock. They only have the QFN version; the SSOP package still shows no availability until Jan 7.