A new,easy to use, RF Mesh Engine.

Synapse RF Mesh Design Additional Info.

#1. We bought the Synapse EK2100 development kit ($99.00 USB) which includes the Portal development software and one SN171 RF development protoboard with RF and one USB SNAP Stick which is a USB RF bridge to the PC. In all, this kit contained two RF Mesh Modules. All you need is ~ +3 VDC to power the units if your RF Mesh use is external to the PC.

#2. Some RF Mesh Engines are 3 miles "LOS" - "Line of Sight" This range could be extended by just having many distributed RF mesh engines powered up in the idle state.

#3. We included a battery monitor circuit in our RF Mesh Motes to indicate battery life.
See Synapse forum for more info.

#4. There is no need for RF Mesh central coordinators in the Synapse RF mesh network.

#5. The nodes are immediately able to communicate with each other.

#6. No PC software required - there is no need for software installed on a PC to coordinate the
nodes, they can think for themselves.

#7. Any node can talk to any other node - There is no central coordinator node with SNAP.

#8. There is a max. buffer packet limitation which you cannot exceed. You cannot send video due to this RF limitation.
:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

There is a max. buffer packet limitation which you cannot exceed. You cannot send video due to this RF limitation.

:frowning:

But sending images would be ok? 640x480, probably only 320x240

How fast do you think I could send an image?

Mowcius

the python code looks easier than the API part of Xbee but how steep is the learning curve to use this with an arduino(given that i'm at the lowest rung on networks and wireless communication ). perhaps a quick tutorial would help.

the python code looks easier than the API part of Xbee but how steep is the learning curve to use this with an arduino(given that i'm at the lowest rung on networks and wireless communication ). perhaps a quick tutorial would help.

Indeed that would help.

The xbee can be very easy for simple stuff (just sending serial data) so even just a simple tutorial for this would be very much appreciated.

Mowcius

Thats a pretty good price, considering what you get and its capabilities.
Nice project =)

"...it was my 12-year old son who set it up"

• Andy Griffis, CEO, StrongWatch Sensor

Just saw this flash up on Synapse Wireless home page so I presume it must be easy! ;D

Download the EK2100 manual and the Synapse Ref. Manual. As for the Python scripts, there are
many to choose from - check the web-site.
BTW - I think they even allow you to download the PC Portal software.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

But sending images would be ok? 640x480, probably only 320x240
How fast do you think I could send an image?
Mowcius

The IEEE 802.15.4 specification limits packet sizes to 127 bytes.

BTW ... All docs, software, scripts, examples, projects, user Q/A can be found under Support /Synapse SNAP forum.

The IEEE 802.15.4 specification limits packet sizes to 127 bytes.

BTW ... All docs, software, scripts, examples, projects, user Q/A can be found under Support /Synapse SNAP forum

Yeah but I gotta register to look at that... :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

Yeah but I gotta register to look at that...

The same way you registered on this forum ... use any username you want ... no purchase necessary.
:wink:

Looks like they cost from $25 to $40 a piece.
Looks comparable in price but a with a 3 mile range.....

We are still waiting on Atmel for their special RF Mesh Engine
The Atmel one - 2 Meg speed @ 18 ma. max. transmit current <--- This is the cat's meow.
The RF200P81 model RF Engine is also available in June with a MSRP of $18 (USD). It uses a low cost antenna without a powered amplifier, reaching LoS distances of up to 2000 feet.

The same way you registered on this forum ... use any username you want ... no purchase necessary.

Yeah I know. I'm just lazy :stuck_out_tongue:

I will go and register now :slight_smile:

Mowcius

@ArduinoAndy

Thank you for your post. This is what lead me to the RF Engine. I really think other arduino users would like these. Especially if they do a side by side comparison between XBees. This biggest downside to me is they are only available at future electronics. There are too many good points and advantages to list.

Price wise:
The lowest power module is $24 right now. http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/wireless-rf/rf-modules-solutions/802154-zigbee/Pages/2270387-RF100P86.aspx
The amplified version with an F antenna is $35 right now. http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/wireless-rf/rf-modules-solutions/802154-zigbee/Pages/6691737-RF100PC6.aspx
Then the amplified version with an RP-SMA connection is $39 right now. http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/wireless-rf/rf-modules-solutions/802154-zigbee/Pages/7782840-RF100PD6.aspx

For comparison the xbee pro rp-sma is $44.95 at sparkfun. XBee Pro 50mW Series 2.5 RPSMA - WRL-08768 - SparkFun Electronics

I used to use an arduino/Xbee combination everywhere I needed wireless data. Now I can just put a SNAP RF Engine in some of those places without the arduino. It is nice to reprogram the RF Engines over the air.

For some reason, the arduino community does not seem very interested in the RF Engines. They have filled a need for me. They have also created some needs for me. I couldn't find a cheap breakout board. So I made one. It is what pushed me to learn eagle and make my first PCB. (for anyone interested http://www.jcwoltz.com/2010/10/synapse-breakout-boards-available-for-sale/)

Beyond that, I needed to run RF Engines from a rechargeable battery. I have made a PCB with another guy, Serge Sozonoff begin_of_the_skype_highlighting end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting end_of_the_skype_highlighting, to charge LIPO batteries from a solar panel. An image:

The detail of the first batch are at: http://www.jcwoltz.com/2010/11/pcbs-back-and-next-steps/

The details haven't been written up, but the latest board:

All these designs and more are released under a CC BY-SA at: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

If someone wants an arduino shield, I have started one. They could either ask to have some made, or take the design and make their own. An image:

I'm sorry for repeating some of this information. The RF Engines have allowed me to do what needs to be done quickly. I have done some basic testing and I'm able to reprogram an arduino wirelessly using RF Engines.

Blimey, this thread's been around a while now.

I just got my hands on some XBee-Pro ZB Modules (2 mile range) which as they have gone down in price are now very similar priced to these modules (possibly slightly cheaper now for the range), I haven't done any further comparisons yet though...

From a quick look, I think the features on the XBees still exceed these but not by a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

Possibly other users would like them but until this thread, I had never heard of them. Everyone who knows anything about wireless data has heard of XBees.

Especially if they do a side by side comparison between XBees.

Any chance you could do a comparison between these and the XBee Pro-ZB modules?

Mowcius

IMHO, vendors like Dust Network, Synapse, and Greenpeak (just to name a few) are more eager to sell their products to larger cooperation. Furthermore, their modules are geared towards single chip (or single module) solution whereby the are promoting the use of the their software to configure and program. What I'm disappointed is at times, the sales guy always ask questions like how much is your consumption per year and how big is your company, etc. No doubt, the Synapse products are awesome products, I just wish that they have a wider distribution network like the XBee. :-[

What I'm disappointed is at times, the sales guy always ask questions like how much is your consumption per year and how big is your company, etc. No doubt, the Synapse products are awesome products, I just wish that they have a wider distribution network like the XBee. Embarrassed

I've never dealt with Synapse Sales. Agree 100% about wanting a wider distribution network. The arduino is the perfect platform that enabled me to learn and get running quickly. The RF Engines are sort of like that for wireless. Yes, there are things about Synapse Wireless that irk me to no end. This is not the place for that.

I strongly believe that this product can and will help out arduino users in many, but not all situations. For example, in a multi-room thermostat or other home control center, some node can be a RF engine and temp sensor and motion detector. Instead of an arduino, xbee, temp sensor, and motion detector. Yes, there are many other ways to accomplish this situation. That is a very basic use of the RF Engine.

The ability to run code on the RF engine helps me. I think it can help others too. The ability to make rpc calls to other nodes or portal make complicated things possible. Portal is software you can run on your computer. An example where I use this is a node can ask portal the current time. Portal then responds and the node sets the time in a RTC.
The code I run on portal is available at: http://jctc-electronics.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/SNAPpy/JC-portalrtc.py

The code I run on a node is available at: http://jctc-electronics.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/SNAPpy/PCF2129A.py
The important piece of that is the getPortalTime(). That will call the setRFTime function on portal. Portal will then call the writeClockTime function on the node that called it with the current time.

Although these are basic examples. I am fairly new to arduino, electronics, and wireless. IMO it is more than you can do with an xbee. Yes, you can use api mode on an xbee, but the common xbees do not allow you to run code on them.

I'm designing a wireless sensor network that will need to operate in a mesh layout. I came across the Synapse RF engines a few weeks ago and they look like they're a really easy way to throw a bunch of nodes out and have them create a mesh automatically. I'll need an arduino at each location anyway, so maybe it's overkill and I could go with the XBees instead. Are the Xbee units easy to set up in a mesh for a noob like me, or should I go with the Synapse ones since they also have the Portal software and the USB snap stick which gives me a pretty good headstart?

Is this like the XBee?

I'm designing a wireless sensor network that will need to operate in a mesh layout. I came across the Synapse RF engines a few weeks ago and they look like they're a really easy way to throw a bunch of nodes out and have them create a mesh automatically. I'll need an arduino at each location anyway, so maybe it's overkill and I could go with the XBees instead. Are the Xbee units easy to set up in a mesh for a noob like me, or should I go with the Synapse ones since they also have the Portal software and the USB snap stick which gives me a pretty good headstart?

Do some research, I can't tell you what's best for your application. The XBees are easy to set up in a mesh network and easy to configure with X-CTU but I have never used these Synapse modules.

Is this like the XBee?

Haha ;D
I saw that coming!
Umm, in that it's an RF wireless module which can do mesh networks etc, yes. There are differences though...

Mowcius