Need help populating Arduino r3 proto shield.

I am in the process of populating the shield following Manufacturing tools - stand-alone AVR ISP programmer but they have a different proto board. Where do I connect the reset switch and leds on this board?

My board - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Arduino/A000082/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtE4ePzUE8d2CmN5d6cQSeK![/url

Thanks guys

Just draw up a schematic from the description given in the tutorial, then use any available space on the proto-sheild for the components.

I'm not entirely sure what question you are really asking. You can connect a switch and LED anywhere you want. Proto shields are meant to be general purpose.

In this case you need to be very careful. The Adafruit tutorial assumed you are using the Adafruit Protoshield (Adafruit Proto Shield for Arduino Kit [v.5] : ID 51 : $15.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits). That shield is designed with the rows of connections (in line with the pins of the IC) are connected together on the board.

The Arduino-branded Protoshield was not designed this way.

So you must make sure all of the wires in a row are soldered together.

James,

Let me try to clarify. I am not sure how to wire up the switch and leds actually. :astonished: I am a hands on learner so wrapping my noggin around the picture has me scared to mis-wire something. Figured it was better to ask then waste cash/time.

I will post a photo of my board from underneath. I connected the pins the adafruit board said to. IE. pin 9 to pin 9 on chip.

Thanks again for the help. Can't wait to get this thing going! I have a relay setup ready to be standalone and a 4x4 led cube for an xmas present ready to go.

Lance

Ok I grabbed a beer and regained my thoughts. I have the LED's hooked up correctly now and am using the power rail which cleaned things up a bit. Now my last question!

• What is the purpose of S1 and how do I connect it to my board? It says to: "Next add S1switch which you will press to start the programming process. You can just solder a wire (yellow) from the breakout near S1 to Analog 1" but what does that do with only one wire going from A1 to the switch?

Thanks!!

S1 tells the sketch to begin another bootloader burn.

Ok so any ideas where to wire to and from for S1? Also I understand i am telling the Arduino to burn a new program into the 2nd chip with this code but any idea where I place the code to be burned?

S1 goes from analog 1 of the host board to ground.

The only code the standalone bootloader sketch delivers is a modified version of the optiboot bootloader (adaboot) as per Limor's blog:

"The standalone sketch will only program ATmega328P chips and it will program them with our "adaBoot" Bootloader not Optiboot! Select Duemilanove with 328 when uploading to Arduinos that use the bootloaded chip, even if you are using it in an UNO branded Arduino! "

That code is contained within the sketch itself.

Aweseom thanks Bill! (S1 goes from analog 1 of the host board to ground.)

So on the latter part of what you just said......

"The only code the standalone bootloader sketch delivers is a modified version of the optiboot bootloader (adaboot) as per Limor's blog:
"The standalone sketch will only program ATmega328P chips and it will program them with our "adaBoot" Bootloader not Optiboot! Select Duemilanove with 328 when uploading to Arduinos that use the bootloaded chip, even if you are using it in an UNO branded Arduino! "
That code is contained within the sketch itself."

CRAP! Did I just waste 5 bucks and a couple hours of my time?! What I wanted to do was build a rig so I can program the chips in order to transfer them to run standalone.

steinklatre:
CRAP! Did I just waste 5 bucks and a couple hours of my time?! What I wanted to do was build a rig so I can program the chips in order to transfer them to run standalone.

What chips? You only need to burn a bootloader on to blank ATmega328s. If the chip already has the bootloader, it is ready to run standalone (at 16MHz).

James,

I purchased about five ATmega328's that has a blank bootloader. Then I wanted to avoid pulling the arduino's ATmega out to program the chips 1-5. Figured I would create this shield to burn the bootloader as well as burn the program I wanted to use that chip(1-5) for. I.E. the 4x4 cube present, or the relay box I have. I guess what I have created is JUST the bootloader shield NOT a full on programming shield.

Lance

So you were trying to build a generic "Arduino as ISP [in-circuit serial programmer]" shield?

James,

Yes I suppose that is what I was trying! Am I far off on this?

Lance

Look at the Arduino as ISP stuff and determine if the connections of your shield are the same connections. If so, it is just a matter of loading the "Arduino as ISP" sketch on to the "host" Arduino.

Thanks a ton I will research tomarrow after work. My head hurts after reading Sociology topics. :sleeping:

James,

So it looks like I can continue on with my proto board bootloader installation shield to burn the bootloader but in order to install a program on the new chips I still have to remove the ATmega from the Arduino.

Could you steer me in a direction of reading about how to program any chip without an arduino platform?

Lance

steinklatre:
Could you steer me in a direction of reading about how to program any chip without an arduino platform?