How about ATOH()? Ascii to Hex

We have ATOI(), ATOL(), ATOF() but no function for converting Ascii to Hex.

The sscanf function can be used to convert a string containing hex digits (like 0x123) to an integer or other type.

Hex (base 16) is a way of displaying a number, like binary (base 2), octal (base 8), or decimal (base 10).

Or, have I completely missed what you want?

I was thinking more ease of use.

My understanding of sscanf (I have limited programming experience) is that it's most effective if you're pulling certain data from a known formatted string.

I kind of look at it like this: If you had a string like "123.456" and you wanted to convert it to a float would it be easier to use ATOF() or SSCANF() to convert the number?

The same question should apply to a Hex number in a string.

The advantage of sscanf is that there is only one function to know and use to convert any string that contains numeric data to a specific type. The disadvantage is that it is a bit larger than atof, atoi, or atol (or atoh).

Anyway, the function you are looking for isn't atoh - ascii to hex - because hex isn't a type like int, float, or long. It's more like ahtoi - ascii hex to integer.

Have a look at strtol. This is a handy function for converting binary, octal, hex and/or decimal strings to integers.

Here you go.
strtol() is the key...

/

* Convert a hex ascii string to a number.
 */
int
htoi(char *p)
{
        /*
         * Look for 'x' as second character as in '0x' format
         */
        if ((p[1] == 'x')  || (p[1] == 'X'))
                return(strtol(&p[2], (char **)0, 16));
        else
                return(strtol(p, (char **)0, 16));
}

--- bill

We have ATOI(), ATOL(), ATOF() but no function for converting Ascii to Hex.

Paul said it best, but...
We have atoi(), atol(), and atof() because i, l, and f (int, long, float) are different internal formats for numbers. "hex" is NOT an "internal" format; it's an external format. So you might have "htoi" and "htol", but xtoh() doesn't make any sense...

This thread is maybe old, but for the record this is what I found included in most of the BLinkM examples for Arduino:

// a really cheap strtol(s,NULL,16)
#include <ctype.h>
uint8_t toHex(char hi, char lo)
{
  uint8_t b;
  hi = toupper(hi);
  if( isxdigit(hi) ) {
    if( hi > '9' ) hi -= 7;      // software offset for A-F
    hi -= 0x30;                  // subtract ASCII offset
    b = hi<<4;
    lo = toupper(lo);
    if( isxdigit(lo) ) {