Go Down

Topic: CNC update (Read 463 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

for those who care, i am still researching on how to build my CNC router. still not sure if i will go with the arduino GRBL controller (with different stepper drivers), or LinuxCNC, using a Mach3 breakout board.

Here is what i have figured out. for my gantry, i will power it with two stepper motors and screws, to maintain the angle of the gantry, so it doesn't deflect. still undecided on what type of slides to use, but i am still researching.

~Travis
Current Obsession: Ham Radio, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own forum on my hobby server.

Isaac96

Fun. High-quality drawer slides might do. You could also look at the Shapeoko line, they use aluminum extrusions with linear bearings.
Do not PM me for help. I will delete immediately.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

travis_farmer

I have considered drawer slides, though when extended, they tend to deflect. not ruling it out, i just haven't found any with the "tightness" i would like.

currently, i am thinking of using skate bearings on pipes. the trick is making the pipes absolutely parallel, and square in respect to each other. but i think it may work well. providing my pipes are parallel. an alternate would be steel angle iron, same basic design with the skate bearings.

so far i am having a blast, doing the research and designing. :D

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Apr 21, 2017, 03:01 am Last Edit: Apr 21, 2017, 03:04 am by Qdeathstar
Get some used linear rails off ebay. I got 6 IKO rails 18" long for $75 a couple of weeks ago for a coreXY machine i am building..

Aluminum is a lot easier to machine. If you plan on using steel and welding it together, keep in mind that the heat from the process will cause the steel to warp as it cools...

I'd look at using T-Slot extrusion for the frame. There are aluminum braces that can be used to make sure you are at exactly 90 degrees, and you can get them at modest prices from ebay. $200 for 10 meters of 2040 tslot cut to your specifications with a 1mm tolerance. Not bad for a dyi machine.  Though, for a cnc i'd expect you need something a bit beefier like 4040 or 4060....

travis_farmer

Get some used linear rails off ebay. I got 6 IKO rails 18" long for $75 a couple of weeks ago for a coreXY machine i am building..

Aluminum is a lot easier to machine. If you plan on using steel and welding it together, keep in mind that the heat from the process will cause the steel to warp as it cools...

I'd look at using T-Slot extrusion for the frame. There are aluminum braces that can be used to make sure you are at exactly 90 degrees, and you can get them at modest prices from ebay. $200 for 10 meters of 2040 tslot cut to your specifications with a 1mm tolerance. Not bad for a dyi machine.  Though, for a cnc i'd expect you need something a bit beefier like 4040 or 4060....
the skate bearings on pipe method was highly suggested for my budget on CNCZone, for a first machine.

I wasn't going to weld the steel (just because it warps), but to use it along with wood as a stiffener.

I looked on eBay for t-slot extrusions, and holy **** they are cheap! ...oh, wait, that's 80/20 is that better or worse?

~Travis

Qdeathstar

yeah, i mean the rods will be cheaper... but i think it's better to build a high quality machine slower than a cheap machine quickly. i'm not sure about the 80/20 extrusions. 8020 is also a brand name of extrusions, so if it is 8020's 1515 extrusions, it wouldn't be good. 8020 if it is the dimensions means 80mm x 20mm

travis_farmer

yeah, i mean the rods will be cheaper... but i think it's better to build a high quality machine slower than a cheap machine quickly. i'm not sure about the 80/20 extrusions. 8020 is also a brand name of extrusions, so if it is 8020's 1515 extrusions, it wouldn't be good. 8020 if it is the dimensions means 80mm x 20mm
I agree about the high-quality, slowly vs. low-quality, quickly. hence why i am putting so much into my research. i have suspended buying anything for the machine until i am satisfied that it will perform to some level of tolerance, for a long time.

I am now basing my machine on a design by Joes CNC (though smaller table size) that i saw in CNCZone. nothing drawn up yet. i am also thinking of dropping the dual screw for the long axis (gantry movement), as i have spotted a cable mechanism to prevent gantry racking. looks very simple, and rigid.

~Travis

travis_farmer

I seem to be exceptionally overwhelmed here. I have spent the whole day studying build logs and design files on CNCZone, and my eyes are bugged right out of my head. I am still interested in the idea, but man. i have digested more information than i ever was capable of, back in school.

on the plus side, i was playing around with LinuxCNC (during a study break), and my eBay Mach3 breakout board i ordered a while back, and i was able to verify it worked, and was compatible with my hardware. (i temp loaded LinuxCNC on my dormant 4U server)

the worst part of the studying, i am unsure that i was able to retain any of it  :o
Perhaps i gorged myself on too much information.

~Travis

travis_farmer

well, somehow i have to fund this project... anybody want to buy a goldwing? how about a bunch of drum/music stuff?

~Travis

travis_farmer

nah, maybe i will just cancel the whole thing. all my projects fail, so why bother even continue with this one. at least i haven't spent too much yet...

~Travis

travis_farmer

just realized another project that failed. my server. there is all of one member on my forum. i may just shut that down...

~Travis

Qdeathstar

get outside and mow some lawns! You can get ~50/yard

travis_farmer

:o wow, yesterday was a rough day! makes me wonder if i remembered to take my meds yesterday morning. is 37 too early for a mild mid-life crisis?

anyway, sorry for... all that. i wasn't myself for some reason.

as for mowing lawns, it is mud season here. lawns are too soft to mow. (otherwise i would have my motorcycle out of the shed, and be riding it).

again, sorry for all that.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Interesting. Another dude i know on the internets said he had no mud season because although they got a lot of snow this winter (in maine) the spring time was dry and now there is an elevated fire risk.

travis_farmer

yes, the mud season is less than usual, but in my area, the lawns are still soft... or at least mine is, as a point of comparison. there is even still snow here that has yet to finish melting.

~Travis

Go Up