Go Down

Topic: When did Return become Enter? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Henry_Best

Not true. You can go somewhere that you've never been before and enter there. You have not returned to that place.
Pedant :)
Maybe I'm a Time Lord.  :)

MorganS

Or about the same time "SCREEN LOCK" found a smart phone and became "scrlk" etc etc...

But it's always been an abbreviation for "Scroll Lock". I think the only program in widespread use that uses it is Excel and it really confuses people when they hit it accidentally. Everything else works fine except for Excel.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

ballscrewbob

Hasn't always been "scrlck" I can remember keyboards with "SCREEN LOCK"

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Henry_Best

Hasn't always been "scrlck" I can remember keyboards with "SCREEN LOCK"
My wireless, UK layout, keyboard, purchased new less than a year ago, has a "Scroll Lock" key.

ChrisTenone

iOS virtual keyboards have 'return'.
Wubba lubba dub dub!

ballscrewbob

IOS devices should always be returned for a refund ;)

Not sure how a virtual refund works though ?
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

allanhurst

May 03, 2017, 08:17 pm Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:37 am by allanhurst
Perhaps it all started with mechanical typewriters, when operating the lever on the carriage gave both a carriage return, then line feed -

interpreted in printer commands as ASCII 13h, 10h.

Allan

Henry_Best

Perhaps it all started with mechanical typewriters, when operating the lever on the carriage gave both a carriage return, then line feed -
The typewriter lever gave line feed before carriage return.

allanhurst

Been a long time since I used one....  but CRLF was the standard printer command.

Allan

Henry_Best

Been a long time since I used one....  but CRLF was the standard printer command.

Allan
Correction: You were right. My memory failed me. Typewriters gave CR before LT. Sorry.

Go Up