Go Down

Topic: When did Return become Enter? (Read 659 times) previous topic - next topic

Henry_Best

Not true. You can go somewhere that you've never been before and enter there. You have not returned to that place.
Pedant :)
Maybe I'm a Time Lord.  :)

MorganS

Or about the same time "SCREEN LOCK" found a smart phone and became "scrlk" etc etc...

But it's always been an abbreviation for "Scroll Lock". I think the only program in widespread use that uses it is Excel and it really confuses people when they hit it accidentally. Everything else works fine except for Excel.
GoForSmoke: "What GShield? You never mentioned a shield."

ballscrewbob

Hasn't always been "scrlck" I can remember keyboards with "SCREEN LOCK"

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Henry_Best

Hasn't always been "scrlck" I can remember keyboards with "SCREEN LOCK"
My wireless, UK layout, keyboard, purchased new less than a year ago, has a "Scroll Lock" key.

ChrisTenone

iOS virtual keyboards have 'return'.
Wubba lubba dub dub!

ballscrewbob

IOS devices should always be returned for a refund ;)

Not sure how a virtual refund works though ?
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

allanhurst

May 03, 2017, 08:17 pm Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:37 am by allanhurst
Perhaps it all started with mechanical typewriters, when operating the lever on the carriage gave both a carriage return, then line feed -

interpreted in printer commands as ASCII 13h, 10h.

Allan

Henry_Best

Perhaps it all started with mechanical typewriters, when operating the lever on the carriage gave both a carriage return, then line feed -
The typewriter lever gave line feed before carriage return.

allanhurst

Been a long time since I used one....  but CRLF was the standard printer command.

Allan

Henry_Best

Been a long time since I used one....  but CRLF was the standard printer command.

Allan
Correction: You were right. My memory failed me. Typewriters gave CR before LT. Sorry.

Go Up