Go Down

Topic: what i have been up to, thus far. (Read 20532 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

Aside from doing quite a bit of mind-numbing research on building my CNC router, i have spent my weekends gutting out my old camper, as i plan on renovating it to become my portable CNC shed, as it is the only place i have available to put it, where it won't be in the way. the camper is a 29' dual-axle monster, and it will give me plenty of room for my CNC.
I will have to re-structure some of the walls for side-to-side structure, if i take it down the road. but for the most part, it will be fairly open. so i will have room for the control computer, and other supporting electronics. it will also have room for some basic storage for spare parts, and other tools.
I will be getting a little bit of money back from my tax return, so it will enable me to get a good start on my latest project.

Also, i was finally able to register my motorcycle, so after a spring tune-up, and after the weather turns better, i look forward to be out on two wheels again. I will have to be careful my first time out, as they have not yet finished cleaning up the road sand from this winter.

I haven't been posting much lately, mostly due to whenever i do, i seem to go against the grain of someone, somewhere. but heck with them, I'm going to post anyway!  :smiley-razz:

as far as Arduino related projects, i have discovered a method to make a CNC pendant with an Arduino, for LinuxCNC. so that has been occupying the design portion of my brain, lately. if i get it to work, i will likely post my results to the forum. it is based on somebody else's work, but i will be making a few design and coding changes. and i plan on using my Xbee to make it a wireless pendant. :D

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

Qdeathstar

May 06, 2017, 07:44 pm Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:50 pm by Qdeathstar
Adafruit has a really nice battery charging/management breakout board that is small enough to fit inside a handheld. That way you can use a rechargeable lion battery to power it.

I'm using one to provide battery back up to a wifi enabled freezer alarm. I get text messages if the freezer is warming up above 25 degrees, or if power is lost. (Wifi on APC) If goes above 32 a loud siren goes off and I get that alert as well.

Saved my food a few times already because for whatever reason I have a hard time getting the door to fully close.

adafruit

On board buck-boost to bring the 3,7v to a nice 5v
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

travis_farmer

Adafruit has a really nice battery charging/management breakout board that is small enough to fit inside a handheld. That way you can use a rechargeable lion battery to power it.

I'm using one to provide battery back up to a wifi enabled freezer alarm. I get text messages if the freezer is warming up above 25 degrees, or if power is lost. (Wifi on APC) If goes above 32 a loud siren goes off and I get that alert as well.

Saved my food a few times already because for whatever reason I have a hard time getting the door to fully close.

adafruit

On board buck-boost to bring the 3,7v to a nice 5v
here i go, typing again... (504 Gateway error  :smiley-mad: )

anyway, thanks for the tip! :D i was going to use a large RC vehicle battery, but the Lion battery and charger/booster board will be much lighter.

As my design uses both an Xbee, and a Nextion display, plus a 100ppr handwheel encoder, i may want to check what my load will be. make sure i can do it with a 1000ma limit. i'm not used to battery powered projects, so power conservation is kinda new to me.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

The nextion supply will probably be a deal breaker.. some of the back lights use 700ma alone..

travis_farmer

The nextion supply will probably be a deal breaker.. some of the back lights use 700ma alone..
Hmm, i haven't tested it yet, but i do remember that it takes a bit of power.

as soon as i find my workbench again (currently has a LinuxCNC controller prototype and motherboard sitting on it), i will have to build a more complete prototype to test the current draw. but it may be like you say, a deal breaker.

in the name of power consumption, i may switch to a 20X4 LCD. less graphical interface, but less power consumption too.

perhaps i am looking at this idea from the wrong perspective. rather than fancy bling (Nextion display), maybe i will look at it from the battery capacity, and build from there.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

May 06, 2017, 11:44 pm Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:44 pm by Qdeathstar
Even a graphical lcd display would consume a lot less power.

TKall

How do you like the nextion display?  I have two but have been too busy to do much with them yet.

travis_farmer

How do you like the nextion display?  I have two but have been too busy to do much with them yet.
i like it. I have used it in several project prototypes, but have yet to lock it in to any one project. the graphics aren't dynamic, like an Arduino controlled TFT. but once you get the Nextion IDE figured out, it can still make some nearly impressive user interfaces.

~Travis

travis_farmer

I got my motorcycle polished up, and looking good :D well, at least as good as a 1988 bike with 105K miles on it can look.

My father also announced that i will be getting a $1.50 raise  :o to help me fund my CNC machine build :D i suppose that means i will have to do some actual work to earn it ;)

Even a graphical lcd display would consume a lot less power.
I haven't used one of these yet, perhaps i should order one just to experiment with.

~Travis

travis_farmer

while building/researching my big CNC, i bought a mini CNC router/laser from eBay. it will get me familiar with a CNC, so i can better design and research my big one. it is a GRBL kit, so i can't use LinuxCNC, unless i modify it, but that's fine. I mainly wanted it as a learning tool, and i can use it to mill out PCB for any future electronics projects. :D

it is coming on the slow-boat from China, so it will be here... next month, maybe ;)

~Travis

travis_farmer

I have had the opportunity to possibly buy a 48" X 48" X 5" (work area) CNC router. it is a bit of a fixer-upper, but i will go look at it tomorrow after work. I may have to change out a few things, but it should give me a good starting point. :D

~Travis

travis_farmer

well, i bought the used router. it is a Techno/Isel router, it has no drivers or controller, but it did come with a monster Perske VS 60.11-2, 5HP, 3-phase spindle. problem is, i don't happen to have 3-phase electrical service. so i either have to buy a phase converter ($$$  :o ), or just buy a adapter to mount my Makita RF1101 router.

either way, it will be an adventure bringing this monster to life. :D

~Travis

Qdeathstar

May 17, 2017, 01:51 am Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:01 am by Qdeathstar
topic needs pics.  However you probably do not need a rotary phase converter (450) for the money, you can get a static three phase converter for relatively cheap(150).  You'll have reduced power to the motor but it might still be better than the makita. How much did it cost?

travis_farmer

it cost me $500.

I will post pics when i get it off-loaded from the trailer, and find space for it.

I will look into a static phase converter. haven't seen one before. for that matter, i have never hooked up 3-phase, so i will have to look that up as well.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

basically, it goes panel to disconnect to converter to machine. But, after commenting i did some more research and basically it is a bad idea to connect a cnc machine to a static phase converter because it not only affects torque, but also spindle speed, which, as you know is very important to a cnc machine.

Go Up