Go Down

Topic: what i have been up to, thus far. (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

basically, it goes panel to disconnect to converter to machine. But, after commenting i did some more research and basically it is a bad idea to connect a cnc machine to a static phase converter because it not only affects torque, but also spindle speed, which, as you know is very important to a cnc machine.
what about a VFD?

~Travis
Currently trying to rebuild a 48" X 48" X 5" (working area) CNC Router.

travis_farmer

May 17, 2017, 10:57 pm Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:01 pm by travis_farmer
thought i would post a few preliminary pictures of the CNC. it is still on the trailer as i get space ready for it (covered under a heavy duty tarp for now).

(edit: didn't let me attach, so i had to pop them on my server)

~Travis

Qdeathstar

I'm not too familiar with vfd's, but they guys at the CNCzone say you have to isolate the spindle from the rest of the machine/steppers. They seeemed unimpressed, but the same guy was pushing a particular phase converter as the only solution... and I know a rotary phase covertly will work, so consider the source...

Qdeathstar

I'd also say worse case it like it's like you got $500 in scrap. Beefy.

travis_farmer

I have been puttering away at gutting out my camper to accept my big CNC. it will be snug, but it will fit inside. not sure yet if it will fit between the wheel humps, but i will measure that as soon as i get the other side exposed enough to run a tape measure.

~Travis

travis_farmer

it suddenly occurred to me, how am i going to get the CNC up onto the camper floor? the CNC is heavy, and the camper floor is a ways up. even if i jack the camper tongue way up, and settle the rear of the camper on the ground, i still have to lift it off the trailer it is perched on now. i mean, this CNC machine is quite heavy due to the all steel base frame. I could pull the CNC off the base frame to make it lighter, but it would risk tweaking the CNC.

this may take a little thought...
I still have some demo work left on the camper, so there is plenty of time to figure something out.

I don't suppose anybody has a forklift or crane, and lives in Maine, USA? ;)

~Travis

Go Up