SD card read/write with Arduino

This is Nnk again .

Thanks to carl47 and Cemath for the response . I tried the way u said in ur posts. But it did not work. I also tried re-building and re-testing the connections too.But still the same.

I am really confused and not clear on how to proceed with SD card interfacing with Arduino . Here I will tell the real need or requirement of my project and the purpose for which I need a SD card interfacing.

My project name is Tran-Duino , the purpose of the project is to track a moving vehicle,say ,a Bus using GPS and display the upcoming or the next stop names in the route by placing a display inside the Bus.

Inorder to store the latitude, longitude and location names , I will be using a SD card. The SD card will contain these information in the form of a textfile with fields separated by commas and one location name per line.

for example A line in the file may hv values like

13.119697 , 80.218537 , kolathur

Now , when the bus moves in the route , I ll get the GPS values from a GPS receiver module about the bus curent location frequently, I ll also fetch the values from the sd card , compare it , if it matches then the location name is sent to the display unit.

All these processing are done using the arduino. Now the work of the SD card is

[must be able to store values when i go to locations and get the GPS positions (for storing purpose) ]
[must be able to read from the card for comparing it with received values from GPS]

So , please tell me your suggestions on how to achieve this task. If it is possible to do this task without a shield for SD card it will be more useful.

Thanks in advance

N.Nandhakumar