[SOLVED] Where do I go to get specific feeds, minus all the foreign parts?

When I paste the url for any of the forum sub-things (such as “Using Arduino"; “Topics”; “Development”, etc.) into my Google Reader “Add a subscription” button place, it seems to give me the entire forum in one take, most of this is in foreign languages which are no use to me as I’m British.

What do I do to get just the feeds for each separate sub-thing in the forum (such as “Using Arduino"; “Topics”; “Development”, etc.), so that I can exclude other sub-things that aren’t wanted?

I just commented this in this other topic:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,49885.0.html

Until we implement the more user-friendly RSS feed buttons all over the place, if you want to get the feed from a single category, you could do something like this:

That one will list the last 10 messages in the category "2", which is "Using Arduino". The number corresponding to each category can be obtained by looking at the URL for each link on the main page. For example, "Using Arduino" has the URL:

where "c=2" is the category.

We have the implementation of RSS icons pretty high in our category list, in the meanwhile, feel free to use this trick with your reader.

/d

How can we have just new threads rather than all new posts?

That’s interesting. The “International” category is 6 so I should just be able to use the url

However, Google Reader isn’t having any of it. It doesn’t like any the key-value pairs passed to the php app. For example, if I give it:

it doesn’t accept it.

Nor:

Nor

But it does accept:

But then I’m potentially back where I started.

Would it be easier just to tell the rest of the world to only speak English? I recall there was an initiative to do precisely that a few hundred years ago, by people I’m not related to (or if I am, they spent all the money before I was born).

mowcius:
First I think we need to change terminology, since the new forum has a different paradigm of use.

• A Category is a group of Boards.
  • A Board contains Topics
  • A Topic is the equivalent to a post

So, when you talk about Threads, you refer to a Board or to a Topic?

For the full explanation of what you can do with SMF regarding RSS, please read:

Ian:

I am sorry to say but the most spoken (western) language in the world is Spanish, I wonder how good you are in that, since you are suggesting we should all write in it :wink:

Letting the jokes aside, Google Reader needs to get the feed with the right header. The way to make this is by adding a "type=atom" at the end of your feed, like:

that will make it.

/d

Also, on mowcius’ point, there’s the distinction between two cases in feed reading:

• Do I only want to see new topics posted (ie, the original posting as it stands now, with perhaps a few immediate replies that have occurred by that time)
or
• Do I want to see every new post that occurs, not distinguishing between newly originated posts, and their replies.

Ah, thanks for the atom url.

Except that it doesn’t do the job - still letting international posts in. I don’t know why either. Oh well.

Now, where did I bookmark website on learning Chinese?

Ok, so the functionality you guys are missing is the one in the first point, am I wrong?

This might be of interest:

(it’ll take all day to read, though, it's long!).

I think that point is to do with key value pair of “sa=news”, at a guess.

My point was not that, but I’m interested in it. My point was just getting a feed in English (and maybe I’ll let some american in too).

Ian:

but when you make the call with c=1,2,3,4,5 are you still getting international messages? I have tried it out myself and it comes out right every time.

Yes.

For example, with the given url

a message beginning:

Re: Le nouveau forum
by SamoLaw
En ce qui concerne

was included.

I see,

this might eventually be a bug in SMF's core. We will have to look into it, I just add it to my to-do list.

/d

What if we tried it with boards instead of categories?

I tried with boards and it worked nicely, but then you need to add a lot of boards to your list

Do you still have a list handy? Looks like under 30 of them at a guess?

Aha. This should work for “Community” on its own (although in Google reader it’s coming up as only “Website and forum”:

And I get only the initial post on each one.

[edit]: Hmm, yes it is only paying attention to “Website and forum” — for example, the “first post” entry in ”bar sport” isn’t present in the Google Reader list.

[further edit] aha, and if I increase ‘limit’ to limit=30, I pick up all 14 original posts but only in “Website and forum’. However, if I reverse the order of the ‘board‘ value list to board=30,29,28,27,26,25,24 what I get is one post only, which is the “First Post?” entry in “Bar Sport”. Interesting.

Aha - “board’ gives the first board number in the list and ignores the rest. ‘boards’ plural will pay attention to the whole list. Nice. Try this:

Arduino Forum;

This gives the first post only, in only “Community”. In board order (not my reversed order).

This is what I’ve collated so far:

Using Arduino: Arduino Forum;
Topics: Arduino Forum;
Development: Arduino Forum;
Community: Arduino Forum;
International: Arduino Forum;
General Category: Arduino Forum;

What's the highest the limit can be set to?