Nano 3.0 vs 3.1

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I didn't see a Nano specific category. I have two questions: 1) did the floating test input on the USB chip (forget the name FDTI or something like that) get tied to ground on the 3.1 board? and 2) Where can I find information tutorial on using the USB port for general communications (other than loading code). I would like to use a USB to 232 adapter for my application instead of having to put a level shifter device in the package for RS232 comms.
Thanks

Ducatiguy:
Sorry if this is in the wrong place I didn't see a Nano specific category.

Nyaah!

Ducatiguy:
Did the floating test input on the USB chip (forget the name FDTI or something like that) get tied to ground on the 3.1 board?

Apparently Gravitech corrected the 3.0 design back in 2009 and reissued the schematic. It would follow that the 3.1 design is automatically corrected, unless of course, you were buying a clone which had been taken from the older design. That is one of the dangers of buying clones. Just check to see that pins 25 and 26 are connected.

Ducatiguy:
Where can I find information tutorial on using the USB port for general communications (other than loading code). I would like to use a USB to 232 adapter for my application instead of having to put a level shifter device in the package for RS232 comms.
Thanks

Which end of the USB port? Most PC applications tend to accept a USB port as essentially identical to a RS232 port. You would need to look up the manuals on the language you are using.

On the Arduino side, you just use the "serial" function library.