Arduino basic audio recording project

I wasn't planning on using analogRead() cause I'd be using a separate ADC chip.

I'm sure I'm not looking in the right places, but I'm not finding what the throughput and latencies are for the SD card. Is it limited by just the serial interface?

I can chunk up the data and write it, but it's not clear to me what is the best. Still trying to read up on the SD card interface and see what's the best way to use it.

I don't know all the throughput and latencies, yet, but it seems that it should be in the ballpark.
Audio projects seem to be ill-advised generally here with the arduino, so I thought maybe I'm overlooking something.

Even at 8kHz (assuming 2 bytes holding sample), you'd only have 16000 bytes/second. Too much for 9600 bps, but for 115200 should be fine. Unless the jitter is huge, it would seem fine to sample the audio.

I imagine there could be a problem with sampling it and doing something else with it simultaneously (ie writing to disk or WiFi, etc). If sampling/sending 1 or 2 bytes at a time is too much, then that's a problem. It could be buffered to send, and would that alleviate the bottleneck or is there something else I'm missing?

Since I only want to record, to be analyzed later on the PC, I'm thinking this is viable. I won't be asking the arduino to do anything besides these basic I/O functions. I will write some code in java or Processing to split up the file and create a wav file, and other formats that I can read in my own viewer.