ESP8266 WIFI Shield - Switch from LUA to AT Commands

Hi,

Could someone please explain if I (naively) loaded NODEMCU on my ESP8266 wifi shield can I revert it back to normal SDK firmware to run AT Commands ?

Background.

Bought a clone ESP8266 WIFI shield (UNO/MEGA) with the 4 pin dip switch and references non existing website elecshop.ml . Long story short it did not work properly on arrival, contacted vendors and they sent NODEMCU flashing tool, this did not work too, but armed with this info, I downloaded latest NODEMCU and flashed the shield and did not realise I would get LUA..... not AT command set.

So I am trying to load SDK and AT using ESP8266 download tool (from Espressif) onto the shield, but it always fails on SYNC !! So the shield is never recognised. I can reload NODEMCU without too many probs. But I need the AT command set not LUA.

Hardware - the shield is plugged into an UNO which ONLY provides power. I then communicate with the ESP8266 via the shield debug port through an FTDI module to a PC.

Only have RXD, TXD and GND connected between ESP8266 and FTDI. I think all connection ok and NODEMCU works, but as above cannot run ESP8266 download tool beyond SYNC.

Thanks

BTW - I posted this on ESP forums but my post is sitting a few days awaiting moderation.

Sure you can. You can always load firmware on your esp8266. I have no idea what shield you have but I am unsure why you would want to use AT-commands.

Just program the chip through the Arduino IDE.

If you want more help post pictures of the board and screenshots of errors you are getting. I cannot guess what the errors are or what commands your are giving it.

Hi L,

I know you can ... but I cannot load the SDK/AT firmware at the moment.

Please accept that I need AT commands as all my libraries use AT commands, so I do need to load the SDK/AT firmware.

I attach my setup in photo. As I posted I cannot get past the SYNC in using ESP8266 V3.6.10 download tool (from Espressif). No code involved as yet.

So I am looking for tips that I might have overlooked.

Thanks

Hi,

Got his working now.

The latest ESP down tool V 3.6.1 did not work.
But found an earlier version V 3.4.4 and that did work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot explain why - but I now have AT commands on ESP12E

Thanks

For the benefit of others do you have a link to the working version?

rw950431 you righteous.

Hi,

It was attached to a post at Espressif forums. I did not keep track where it was
as I was trying just about anything.

As my ESP-01s had SDK 1.5.4, I tried an earlier download tool and it worked, I then just looked for later and later versions until I reached V3.4.4

All were attachments in post at the forum.

I tried to upload the ZIP but got 'entity too large' error.