Mac, serial ports not detected

Hi,

When I plug my Arduino NANO (v3.3), no serial ports show on my mac.

• Arduino NANO is genuine, no chinese copy
  • MacBook Pro with Touchbar, USB-C ports. I use the mac adaptor USB-C -> USB-B
  • MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E202)

As a result, when I try to upload a sketch I get this message:

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:01:35
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users//Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/
/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/cu.MALS
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

This is the list of serial ports available:
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
/dev/tty.SOC
/dev/tty.MALS

Tried with all ports (ofc bluetooth would never worked, but tried everything at this point)

I also tried with all the options under "Processor", but I guess this wouldn't matter, as long as there is no serial communication, nothing else matters

• ATmega328p
  • ATmega328p (Old Bootloader)
  • ATmega168

I really don't know how to talk to my Arduino. It's been 48h of frustration. Send help plz.

UPDATE: this didn't work: El Capitan - Arduino IDE serial port problems - #41 by FrktLille - Installation & Troubleshooting - Arduino Forum

Don't use USB-C !

I don't have any other ports available ... :frowning:

I realized that the MacBook detects the Arduino when I plug it, like this (see attachment)

Hm, for some reason, this worked: GitHub - adrianmihalko/ch340g-ch34g-ch34x-mac-os-x-driver: CH340G CH34G CH34X Mac OS X driver

Although my Arduino is original, not a copy! It doesn't make sense ... puzzled face

ignacioavellino:
Hm, for some reason, this worked: GitHub - adrianmihalko/ch340g-ch34g-ch34x-mac-os-x-driver: CH340G CH34G CH34X Mac OS X driver

Although my Arduino is original, not a copy! It doesn't make sense ... puzzled face

How do you know your Arduino is "original"?

By it's looks ... or am I being too naïve that it reads "made in Italy"?

I just wanted to pop into this topic to say that the adrianmihalko/ch340g-ch34g-ch34x-mac-os-x-driver
driver worked for me as well on my MacBook Pro 2017. I installed from brew as listed in the directions and it worked out of the box. This is a lifesaver!

Had this same problem with my '17 MacBook Pro I managed to solve it by downloading and installing firmware through the steps on this page

now it shows up under ports but now I get errors when trying to upload but at least it's a step in the right direction.

ignacioavellino:
By it's looks ... or am I being too naïve that it reads "made in Italy"?

Sorry, but yes .. here in Peru every chinese copy of the UNO says made in Italy. It isn't enough guarantee always. Strange, indeed, that you needed the driver for the original, id it really is.

My program complies and runs successfully with no errors to my Arduino Nano (Processor - ATmega328p (Old Bootloader)), but after that nothing happens and my Arduino doesn't do anything.

For some reason my ports (on my Mac) only come up with:
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incomming-Port
/dev/cu.Airpods-W
/dev/cu.usbserial-A505BEO1

I chose the usbserial one, cause no com1 or com3 appears.