Thermal images of a Mega

Hi, I think it's time we can/should go away from linear regulators, even on these "Little guy" boards.

I have been trying to find a source for 7.5v 1A low-cost Wall Wart supplies, but all I see that is low cost is 5,9,12V

Here's an example of high-function Arduino-compatibles with mini switching power supplies. This supply design is used on 3 IteadStudio products: Iteaduino2.2, Iteaduino2560 (Mega), and Iboard (328 type with onboard W5100 Ethernet).. This uses an MP2307DN switching regulator chip for 5 Volt output from 7 to 27 ! Volts input. There is a separate 1117 3.3V linear regulator and the processor / I/O can be run from that as well. Here's the schematic, and a closeup view of the power part of a board:

I wish the UNO had kept the FTDI USB interface which is less troublesome than the 8U32, gone to a switching supply for 5V, and added a good 3.3V regulator like this..

I'm trying to get a good wholesale price on these so I can supply them at a decent price for those who don't want the absolutely lowest price and want decent power supplies.