Sparrow/starling trap

This project is for all Purple Martin Landlords

I have tried all the mechanical sparrow/starling traps to be found on the web with varied results and just decided that there had to be "a better mouse trap". So I have taken designs from various mechanical traps and added some arduino magic and made my own version. I am in the final stages of my first prototype. Once I have tested and proven my build I will post all info, code, and design layout. I will also include pictures of my progress. If anyone has done anything like this please let me know and we can collaborate designs.

That's all for now.....

depending on where you are based this may not be entirely legal

It is entirely legal as both of these species are not-native to the USA. The introduction of the Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) and the House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) into North America was followed by their subsequent rapid spread. Martins and other cavity nesters are forced to compete with these foreign species for nest sites. Purple Martins in particular have faced severe competition, because martins in the eastern United States now nest largely in man-made birdhouses which are usually erected in areas of human habitation. These habitats are also preferred by the House Sparrow and Starling. The House Sparrow originated in the Middle East and spread, along with agriculture, to most of Eurasia and parts of North Africa. The European Starling was purposefully introduced to North America in 1890-1891.

Ask any Martin landlord his/her opinions about these two species and be prepared to get an earful on what should be done about these pests.

It is entirely legal as both of these species are not-native to the USA.

Is there a law that makes it explicitly legal to make traps for non-native species? Or is it just not forbidden?

I know some species can do serious harm when introduced in a new area, ask Australia. But on the other hand that is how nature works, all species come and go (we too)...

Some questions arise
Q: is your trap lethal or non-lethal?
Q: How do you prevent that only the "non-native" birds are trapped?

After reading your post I couldn't help thinking the following:
Most Americans are not-native to the USA. They originated from Africa, spread to most of Eurasia 70000 years ago, and migrated to America only a few 100 years ago.... :wink:

certainly unlawful in the UK

Is there a law that makes it explicitly legal to make traps for non-native species? Or is it just not forbidden?

Well in the US our Constitution lists only those rights reserved to the federal government and all other unspecified rights are reserved to the States and to the People. So you don't generally need a law to say you can do something, but rather a law needs to be passed (federal, State, or local) to state that you can't do something and even then it would have to pass muster from the courts is someone wished to challenge the constitutionality of the law in question. Think of it like arduino I/O pins defaulting to input pins when powered up or reset.

So look out non-protected birds. :wink:

Lefty

Clear explanation Lefty,
Thanks,

Texas has spelled out which are and aren't protected...

I can certainly understand starlings and sparrows being on the non-protected list. They are a serious problem here.

I wonder what a "feral pigeon" is?

That would be any homeless pigeon living in the 'wild'. So you couldn't legally go into a pet store and kill their pigeons raised and sold to be pet food for a trained Falcon. :wink:

Lefty

Somehow reminds me of Faulty Towers... Basil the Rat... LOL