Karma?

What is karma? Please post below and help me out.

Thanks,

Diod. :slight_smile:

Karma is a way to say thank you to a poster that was of particular good help to you on your posted question or problem. It's optional and a simple written thank you response in your posting is probably just as effective a feedback as the karma click is. Karma was just reintroduced a month or so ago, after being attempted a year or more ago with lots of drama and emotional comments, as that prior version carried both positive and negative karma counts, so lots of fun all around for many. :wink:

Lefty

Sweet thanks.

Diod. :slight_smile:

Did you bump Lefty's karma for that response :slight_smile:

Rob

Did you bump Lefty's karma for that response

I did. Which proves how meaningful karma is.

PaulS:

Did you bump Lefty's karma for that response

I did. Which proves how meaningful karma is.

Damn, where is that negative karma button when one needs it? :wink:

hi everyone i have one little question....is not big deal,but the karma is for people who have certain time in the arduino forum,i am asking it because mine it's look like blocked or inactive(the green + is missing).Any time i have the chance i try to help newbe even if im strating with :D.thank you all

I can see your Karma + sign. I think you just don't see your own.

upsss :~ so i can't see it.My apologies,Thank you CrossRoads...

No problem.

So where do I click to give some one Karma? I can't find the + button

Right under the word "Karma:" on the left of each post.

Rob

It doesn't show up in both Google Chrome and Safari. But maybe that's because of my "Newbie" status.

[Edit] yes as soon as I posted this I was able to give karma

Mubanga:
It doesn't show up in both Google Chrome and Safari. But maybe that's because of my "Newbie" status.

I see yours. I'm using Chrome. You must be logged in to see it. If you do not see that because you are a newbie, then something should be changed in the forum settings. It is normally newbies that need the most help, and benefit most from this forum.

Well after my 5th post on the forum I was able to give Karma so I guess that had something to do with it.

Diod:
What is karma? Please post below and help me out.

As you have had it explained, I'll add that there is a good Mod (modification) for SMF forums that force you to give a reason for the karma so that there are no mysteries as to what it was given for. I know because I have an SMF forum that uses it. I personally don't like the fact that negative karma has been disabled. It's like Facebook - you can only "like" something, you can't "dislike" something - but we all know that people dislike things just as well. I don't like trying to create a feel-good everybody-gets-a-trophy world when we all know that's not the way life is.

Another thing is I see is that this forum is still running SMF 1.1.17 which is long been outdated. They can upgrade it for free so I wonder why they are using a version that is so outdated. The latest version is SMF 2.0.4. :~

Good deal. I guess a minimum of 5 posts in order to give karma is not too bad.

modeller:
I personally don't like the fact that negative karma has been disabled. It's like Facebook - you can only "like" something, you can't "dislike" something - but we all know that people dislike things just as well. I don't like trying to create a feel-good everybody-gets-a-trophy world when we all know that's not the way life is.

I use other forums that have negative karma, and at first, some users would abuse it in a flame war. But after a while, it became a good tool. If some newbie gave karma to a user that suggested something incorrect, we could counter that with negative karma.

I just tried Chrome 24.0.1312.57 and I can't see the + either. Must be version dependant, what have you guys got?

[Edit] yes as soon as I posted this I was able to give karma

Ignore me, I didn't see the extra posts.

Rob

SurferTim:
I use other forums that have negative karma, and at first, some users would abuse it in a flame war. But after a while, it became a good tool. If some newbie gave karma to a user that suggested something incorrect, we could counter that with negative karma.

Simply having both + and - karma can hardly result in a flame war anyway. There are sufficient controls built-in to stop that - I know all about SMF forums, I'm an expert at running them. As it is, you can have a similar thing happening with only positive karma - the groups that have formed cliques on the forum (all forums have this happen) will give each other positive karma all the time and the result will be a biased total. IMHO - you either use the full karma system or not at all.

@Graynomad: Same version as yours.

@modeller: Now you are going to start the "turd stir"! I am a big proponent of karma in both directions, but I felt like I was standing alone against the masses here when the forum reintroduced karma a while back.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,123348.15.html

edit: ...and you are correct. The + and - did not start the flame war. It was only used as a weapon in that war.