Logging 100 ksps with the Arduino internal ADC

..in early '93 I spent some time at DESY, walking through the underground pipe, touching all the detectors.. The beam was off, of course :slight_smile: I would be happy to see LHC as well.. Even Desy and Hera were monumental gadgets, so I cannot imagine the size of the LHC detectors.. That is one thing I would be curious about - the detectors and the input ADCs etc. I guess the events are something like nanosecs events (pulses) coming from semiconductor detectors (at least desy had it) you have to catch and S/H for further ADC..
I built a homemade detector with PIN diodes and a preamplifier, so I get needle shaped pulses 5-200mV++, ~10-50usecs long, random of course (5 to hundert a minute based on irradiation). Since then I am thinking about how to make a spectral analyser (a histogram with energy bins) with an MCU. I have to detect the pulse (ie. comparator), then catch the amplitude, then ADC it.. I've been thinking on direct sampling the signal at ie 1MSPS and to do the analysis of the data on the fly so I must not mess with analog stuff.. Would be interesting to see the spectra of various sources then :slight_smile: