Arduino based replicator

I am looking to make a replicator like they have in Star Trek. I would like to have an Arduino control the matter to energy converter. How can I do this? Can anyone guide me through the steps to make a replicator? I have a 100 amp breaker at 240 volts. I also have some anti matter some were in the garage I can gather up if I need to. I am willing to run plasma conduits through out my house if I need to.

I am hoping for it too look like this when it is complete

Maybe you could try to build a Stargate-type replicator, using Arduino. :wink:

Come on now, it's not that difficult. I made one as my third project for Arduino - Blink, Blink without delay, Replicator.

For 1 brick gold pressed latinum or 2 weeks hollodeck-time I'll sell you the info.

I have a 100 amp breaker at 240 volts.

I could help you realize the project but I have a rule against giving out information that involves working with AC power. "If you have to ask you shouldn't be messing with it", It's a safety thingy. :wink:

Lefty

it could be DC

dannable:
Come on now, it's not that difficult. I made one as my third project for Arduino - Blink, Blink without delay, Replicator.

Such a non-impressive resume for a DIYer 8)

As an Arduino beginner, I would do Blink, Blink without delay, and then Arduino with nixie tubes and a flux capacitor for my car to practice time travel. :wink:

arduinoPi:
I am looking to make a replicator like they have in Star Trek. I would like to have an Arduino control the matter to energy converter. How can I do this?

Sorry, I can't handle the soldering, surface mount is just beyond me. Got mine as an assembled module from Hong Kong, cost all of $8.50 but I forgot where. You just Google 'Arduino Replicator Module' until you find the store. Don't give up till you find it!

May I remind you all of the Prime Directive. arduinoPi could be from a non-Federation species.

Simpson_Jr:
For 1 brick gold pressed latinum or 2 weeks hollodeck-time I'll sell you the info.

I have reported you for trying to sell Federation technology.

The first thing I am going to print with my 3D printer, once I get one, is a 3D printer and then send the original back.

JoeN:
The first thing I am going to print with my 3D printer, once I get one, is a 3D printer and then send the original back.

They are expecting you to do that and have hefty return fee and a non-printable part in there, which you can only buy off some grey market. For example, the reprap project intends to make a 3D printer that can print itself copies.

As long as noone starts replicating mothers-in-law... :cold_sweat:

Are you living anywhere near the Swiss/French border outside Geneva? More specifically, near a very large and long tunnel near there?

If you are, I can help you by telling you where to start getting all parts you need. Since you'll need more than a 25 digital pins, I suggest you start with an Arduino Mega (even better: a DUE).

liudr:
They are expecting you to do that and have hefty return fee and a non-printable part in there, which you can only buy off some grey market.

Don't laugh: it's true. One of my clients bought a Cubex. After the first 8 or 10 hours of printing, the feedstock decided it wanted to be "stock", instead of "feed": it refused to come out of the cartridge. Having encountered the same symptoms with WeedWhackers, the client decided to pop open the cartridge to see if he could fix the hangup.

Which he did: just like on WeedWhackers, the filament had jumped the spool and gotten itself jammed. Unfortunately, what he also found was that the cartridge had been designed such that opening it without following the correct (but undocumented) special procedure would break the ID chip that straddles its two halves.

And, of course, the ID chip is not on offer as a separate item: you have to buy a whole new cartridge.

It's the old "razors and razor blades" gambit, except that you have to pop 3 grand for the "razor" before you start shelling out for the overpriced "blades".

Ran,

There seems to be a certain expectation from manufacturers that users are stupid and will damage everything they touch :slight_smile: 3K is a bit steep for learning curve fitting :wink:

I see Cubex starting at $2500 with cartridges for $100. I would guess the ID chip is to keep people from buying their feed stock elsewhere at a more reasonable price. And still they don't ensure that for the much-extra cost they don't ensure trouble-free operation. That's Yet Another Reason to keep to Open Source design.

In the 80's Tandy (Radio Shack) sold a PC-XT called the TRS-80 that we tech-heads called the Trash-80. It was inferior to PC-XT clones built from standard parts. While it was cheaper than the average 'store-bought' model, it still cost about 50% or so more than what you could build yourself once you knew some simple tech. So nice and cheaper than other stores, right? Well there were nasty gotcha hooks built in. The card slots were 1/8th inch shorter than standard so you -had- to buy Tandy cards at over 3x the price of standard cards. The drives used non-standard cabling to include special lines there only to ensure that even more overpriced drives had to be bought from Tandy.
As years went by they slowly changed to use more standard parts when they learned to bury the hooks deeper but then from fixing Dell, Leading Edge, Gateway, etc PC's, I learned that the "buy here and we OWN YOU" practice is common among Big Name Brands.

I remember learning about Schwinn bicycles in 1973. I never had one because I was too lucky back then being too poor to get one. Every part of their mediocre-at-best bicycles was made non-standard so that every part had to be bought at a Schwinn shop. Even the threads on the bolts and frames were a special (less efficient and heavier) non-standard form. The rims and tires, same way. You had to buy -every- part from them at jacked-up prices and every part weighed more for the same strength by design. That not to mention the frames were flexy crap made to take a beating which robbed the rider of energy with every turn of the cranks.
And yet the US car industry made them look almost normal. But of course it was the Unions that destroyed the car companies, not their predatory planned-obsolescence design practices set up just to squeeze wads of money from the pwned consumers.

Why make a good product at a fair price when you can trap customers ignorant of details kept secret until they do wise up? At that point they 'have invested' and continue to be victims until they become ex-customers. But the big shiny point is that most never learn and many develop brand-loyalty even as they are being screwed to the wall.

Expect it. Papa John has his own golf course so the other economic opportunists must have their private golf course to be successful. And car-elevators and private jets and all the rest plus more to one-up the other rich kids. The kid who dies with the most toys, wins.
Where is the money for it all to be squeezed from? The toothpaste tube known as the world, of course!

I just have not be in the US for very long. Is This "Papa" John considered negatively by the public?

liudr:
I just have not be in the US for very long. Is This "Papa" John considered negatively by the public?

During the last election, the CEO John Schnatter went on the air in a big way to campaign against the affordable care act, in which he said if he had to provide health care coverage to more of his workers, he would reduce their hours so that they were under the limits where the employer has to provide the benefits. It was estimated that to provide care for employees at their current hours, it would raise the cost of pizzas by $0.15-0.20. At the same time, it came out that John had his own private golf course and was living the high life.

In my eyes, that is shameful behavior given a pizza runs maybe $10 or so and the cost of basic health care wouldn't add much, but of course people have different opinions. Now, if he was a small business man, barely making ends meet, I could see the argument that health care would bankrupt him.

There were several other places that were saying the same things about reducing hours, such as the Olive Garden restaurant chain, and many of them saw immediate drop in sales. I think many of the restaurants that originally had said they would cut workers hours have since backpeddled. My daughter has said that the Dunkin Doughnuts shop she works at has been reducing her hours because of this. At the moment, she is still covered under my employer's insurance, but that will run out when she turns 26 later this year.

Of course in a certain sense, there is an irony about discussing working conditions on May 1st, which back in the day when the Soviet Union was still around, the communists would celebrate May 1st as a big day for the worker. The origins of the communist celebrations of May 1st trace back to the Haymarket riots in Chicago, May 1, 1888, when the workers were picketing for an 8-hour work day and it turned rather bloody.

Thanks Michael! I didn't know that. I should probably spend more time 3 years from now when election comes again. Many rich people are the same. They don't want to share and they always want more. Why are we not on Mars yet?!

Yeah, I learned the origin of May first, of course, growing up in a communist country. It seems that many countries are celebrating this officially. Too bad the day is not official holiday from its originating country.

The man said it would cost him 15 cents a pizza. People tip dollars but 15 cents more is too much to give his workers, the people who really earn the money, healthcare.

Because as we all know, 15 cents multiplied by millions is more for everyone BUT the workers. The price of the pizza is what the market will bear rather than the cost to make, etc, plus a fair profit. That 15 cents would have to come out of profits, the Holy Profits of the Church of Mammon which Shall Not Be Touched except by followers deemed Worthy in the Eyes of Mammon or Suitable Representatives that All Should Suck Up To. Profits Above All, Praise Be The Almighty Dollar!

And no, that's not how I really feel. I can't post how I really feel.