Serial Event example NOT COMPLETE

Hi guys,

on https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SerialEvent example code, a line of code should be added in the serialEvent() routine:

void serialEvent() {
while (Serial.available()) {
// get the new byte:
char inChar = (char)Serial.read();
// add it to the inputString:
inputString += inChar;
// if the incoming character is a newline, set a flag so the main loop can
// do something about it:
if (inChar == '\n') {
stringComplete = true;
inputString = inputString.substring(0,inputString.length()-2); //******** new line ********
}
}
}

The new line give back the exatly string received, and nothing more.

If you don't want the newline, don't put it in the String.
Better still, don't use String at all.

In the original example is tested:

if (inChar == '\ n') ....

so, i think is correct what i said

@AndreaDenaro please use code tags (</> button on the toolbar) when you post code or warning/error messages. The reason is that the forum software can interpret parts of your code as markup, leading to confusion, wasted time, and a reduced chance for you to get help with your problem. This will also make it easier to read your code and to copy it to the IDE or editor. If your browser doesn't show the posting toolbar then you can just manually add the code tags:
[code]`` [color=blue]// your code is here[/color] ``[/code]
Using code tags and other important information is explained in the How to use this forum post. Please read it.

The example sketches are meant to be very simple demonstrations of a concept. Your suggested addition introduces some complex code. The only thing that might be considered a problem with the current code is that it prints a blank line to the Serial Monitor after each string. If this was really an issue that could be solved in a much more simple and efficient way by merely changing line 34 from:

Serial.println(inputString);

to:

Serial.print(inputString);

We could argue for months about whether the newline should be considered "part of the string received."
But WHY "-2"?? Are you assuming that any line terminated by a newline is terminated by "\r\n"? That's not a safe assumption!

AndreaDenaro:
In the original example is tested:

if (inChar == '\ n') ....

so, i think is correct what i said

Of course it is tested, but it has already been added to the String.

westfw:
We could argue for months about whether the newline should be considered "part of the string received."
But WHY "-2"?? Are you assuming that any line terminated by a newline is terminated by "\r\n"? That's not a safe assumption!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was wondering about the -2 stripping out the carriage return and line feed (dangerous assumption easily avoided with simple check as you say...) and then wondering why add the thing in the first place. Have we got this wrong or is this a complaint about what the poster is doing (rather than what they think is happening as being beyond their control)? Hmmmmm.