Big Easy Driver Stepper Wiring

I just wanted to know if the following was even possible. I have an Anaheim bi-polar stepper I want to purchase and run off of the Big Easy Driver.

Here is the specs link: http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/stepper/L010588%20-%2023YPG%20Series%20Product%20Sheet.pdf

Part #: 23YPG204S-LW8 with a R47 gearbox with a series current (1.4A) setup.

Since the BED can support up to 2A/phase I figured this would be fine (unless there's a difference between the amps they give me and the amps that the Big Easy can produce), however, I noticed that this is an 8-wire hookup but the BED only has 4 wire hookups. Is there still a way to do this?

(I know it's a big stepper, but I have a relatively large application.) :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!

does it only have 4 wires or does it have 5 ...cause one is connected to a case/frame ?

woody_unreal:
does it only have 4 wires or does it have 5 ...cause one is connected to a case/frame ?

The stepper motor has 8 wires, but all I see are four connections on the BED (two for A and two for B) so I was confused.

Your controller is made for a Bipolar stepper, which has two field coils, hence 4 wires. The motor with 8 leads is a Universal type, which has 4 coils, 8 wires. You should be able to connect the center pairs to each other. Typically those wires are striped, and if you count the wires 1 - 8, you would connect 3 to 4 and 5 to 6. You first need to confirm the pairs with a multimeter, identify the 4 pairs that show resistence and note the ohms. By connecting the two center pairs, you're converting it to Bipolar. After connecting the pairs, the 2 remaining pairs should have roughly twice the resistance value you read from the individual pairs.

All bets are off about whether or not you let the magic smoke out of your h-bridge! :cold_sweat:

BTW, here's a great site for learning about steppers:
http://www.stepperworld.com/Tutorials/pgUnipolarTutorial.htm

Brewgyver:
Your controller is made for a Bipolar stepper, which has two field coils, hence 4 wires. The motor with 8 leads is a Universal type, which has 4 coils, 8 wires. You should be able to connect the center pairs to each other. Typically those wires are striped, and if you count the wires 1 - 8, you would connect 3 to 4 and 5 to 6. You first need to confirm the pairs with a multimeter, identify the 4 pairs that show resistence and note the ohms. By connecting the two center pairs, you're converting it to Bipolar. After connecting the pairs, the 2 remaining pairs should have roughly twice the resistance value you read from the individual pairs.

Thanks for the help and the link!

YW, and rereading my post I think I goofed - the wires you would need to connect would most likely be 2 to 3 and 5 to 6. Then 1 & 4 and 7 & 8 would connect to your stepper control outputs.