Go Down

Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 385928 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

Sorry but that is utter crap as an argument for permissive gun laws.

A person should be free to kill himself/herself if s/he chooses - it's his/her life.

Taking another person's life is not comparable at all.

...R
despite my mental health issues, while killing ones-self is the quick-and-easy (read: cowardly) way out, it is the persons decision. but to be murdered, is not by the decision of the one who loses their life. so i agree with R2 on that particular point.

while on the subject, what's the point of death-row inmates being on suicide watch/prevention?

if i was on death row, why wait years for somebody to kill me, when it is far cheaper to just give them a sharp blade, and let them decide when, and if (with a little "help" as a fail-safe).  :smiley-twist:

here is my opinion of a possible safer gun law. i think people must have a gun ownership license. with around a term of a year. this license should be based on gun safety course completion, initially, and perhaps every 10 years. part of this being a mental fitness exam. and i believe if you visit a regular psych doctor, that doctor should have the right, and obligation to report if a patient expresses any desire to murder (animal hunting not qualifying as this type of murder).

this may seem like a PITA, but look at what is involved with a car drivers license. you have to take an exam, as well as a practical usage test. the license must be renewed, and has eye exams (in a way) built into the renewal. if you have a conflicting medical issue, like seizures, then your license is void.

questioning the comparison between guns and cars? think about it, it is a tool, that if used responsibly, is generally safe. but they can also be used for mass murder, if the driver so chooses.

perhaps all guns must be stored in a secure gun safe, with a 32 digit combination lock. why the complex lock? it takes a fairly calm and agile mind to turn a combination lock to 32 different numbers. ;)  :smiley-twist:

~Travis
My GitHub: https://github.com/travisfarmer?tab=repositories
rfid_reader (Library), ServerTempCtrl (Project)

Qdeathstar

Today at 02:17 pm Last Edit: Today at 02:21 pm by Qdeathstar
Robin2, I agree with you. There isn't a comparison or equality between the acts.... but for the fact that the gun violence problem is vastly overstated.  Deciding that we should outlaw guns or violent video games to solve a problem that affects a fraction of a percent of our population is a foolish waste of resources.  Would it not be better to focus on mental health, family preservation, etc?
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Robin2

Would it not be better to focus on mental health, family preservation, etc?
I suspect you can figure from my earlier comments what my attitude to that is.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Qdeathstar

Today at 05:33 pm Last Edit: Today at 05:45 pm by Qdeathstar
Robin, my point isn't that spending resources on mental health will solve the problem of mass shootings. I agree, it won't. But, it would increase standard of living for the society overall: improved mental health reduces the impact of many problems, spending a lot of money to collect millions of guns possibly solves a particularly small issue.

I do disagree with people that say than even if you made guns illegal people who wanted to get them to do bad things would still get them. The guy from sandy hook wasn't a man of the streets, he wouldn't have been able to "ask around" for an illegal gun. So yes, if guns were illegal it would stop a lot of shootings. But, there are bigger fish to fry.

If you had an option: End 15 percent of all addiction or stop all mass shooting

What would you choose?  Or, how much money/time do you think it would take round up a significant amount of the guns in the united states VS how much time/money do you think it would take to lower the amount of addicts by 15 percent?

Robin2

Today at 08:04 pm Last Edit: Today at 08:06 pm by Robin2
If you had an option: End 15 percent of all addiction or stop all mass shooting
But that is not and never will be a choice we can take.

I don't see how making guns illegal would cost $millions. Stop the sale of guns and, importantly, the sale of ammunition.

And encourage people to hand their guns in at the local police station where they can be destroyed.

The aim should be to make the ownership of guns as socially unacceptable as smoking in public or drink-driving has become. Attitudes to those things did not change overnight - but they did change.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Qdeathstar

Guns kill magnitudes less people than smoking does, though....

Qdeathstar

Today at 08:24 pm Last Edit: Today at 08:25 pm by Qdeathstar
But that is not and never will be a choice we can take

///

Ofc it is. The goal anyway. Whatever resources you have to spend on x you can't spend on y.... which investment do you think gives you the greatest return...

Go Up