Arduino +Robosapiens V2

Hi, I'm going to try to use my robosapiens v2 with arduino but have a small problem. Having spent hours trolling through the wowee forums and not getting anywhere, I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help.
The robot had not been used for ages, and before I tried him out, I checked the condition of the wiring and as expected it was pretty shot. I carefully re-wired him and HOORAY! he worked perfectly! BUT! after a couple of days, he went into a self destruct mode, trying to rotate his wrists two or three revolutions which resulted in broken plastic.
I stripped him down again and checked all the wiring, dissassembled, cleaned and tested the wrist 2bit encoders (perfectly ok)
I put the hands back together but did not mechanically attach them to the arms.
What now happens is this, turn him on and he starts his self diagnostic, everything apart from the wrist servo's is ok, they rotate a couple of revolutions and then stop, after which they respond as normal to the remote control. Something in the self diagnostic is screwed, I put a scope across the supply lines and added capacitors to de-couple any spikes but this is not the problem.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, as I would like to get him working properly before I try any mods :~