8x8x8 multiplexed LED cube with an Arduino Mega 2560

Hippynerd, I think your list of parts is accurate, or at least that's about what I have bought. But you might need to add the following:
-About 40 meters of silver plated copper wire (if you plan to make the cube quite lose, to ensure good visibility, the leggs of the LEDs just arent'long enough, so you'll need to make the whole structure out of craft wire)
-Some small size crocodile clips (at least 4) to hold the LEDs and craft wire together while soldering
-Some small hair clips to hold them together (or you could just borrow from a lady :stuck_out_tongue: )
-9 IC sockets for the shift registers so you can avoid soldering them directly onto the board
-A few hundred breakable male and female pin headers to attach to the LEDs (making it possible to detach the cube from the circuitry) and to attach different parts of the circuitry to each other (I'm planning on putting it on 3 PCBs)
-A few appropriate size PCBs to hold the whole thing
-A 5V power supply which can power 64 LEDs at once (for 20 mA per led I got myself a 5V 2A power supply)

CrossRoads, you did mention this board you are selling earlier in this thread and I was very tempted to request one from you (still am tempted in a way, but now it might take too long to arrive). The only reason I didn't ask you to sell me one was that I did not really understand what's on it and how exactly I could connect it to my project. Sometimes I wish they taught us some hardware at the university. Unfortunately I've only ever learnt software, all that I know about hardware is just from reading on my own...