Short Range Wireless Communication

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an Arduino (Nano) compatible solution for short (ideally ~15 feet) wireless communication, either between two Arduinos or an Arduino and a phone. The two obvious solutions are either Bluetooth or an RF module, but both seem to have too great of a range. According to here, the shortest range Bluetooth radios have a range of approximately 3 feet (too short), and the next step up has a range of approximately 30 feet (too large). RF modules that I've been able to find, such as this one, also seem to have ranges that are too large (for that one, it's supposedly 300 feet, but reported to only really be 100 feet).

Edit: The two devices need to be able to communicate without a line of sight.

Use Infrared. With a cluster of LED's pointing all ways, you can quite easily cover a pretty big area.

// Per.

Zapro:
Use Infrared. With a cluster of LED's pointing all ways, you can quite easily cover a pretty big area.

// Per.

Sorry, I should have specified in the original post that the two devices need to be able to communicate without a line of sight.

weableandbob:
Sorry, I should have specified in the original post that the two devices need to be able to communicate without a line of sight.

If they are in the same room, Infrared is still possible.

In stores here in Denmark, we have electronic price tags on the shelves in some supermarkets. They are programmed and updated via Infrared light, and in a store, there isn't many "emitters" in the ceiling - they just rely on reflections from other parts of the room. There is no need to have line of sight.

// Per.

Check into nrfl2401 transceivers.

5V compliant IO, power needs to be 3.3V.

Then it is easy - use ie. HC-05 and you will get aprox 15feet "without a line of sight"..
:stuck_out_tongue:

CrossRoads:
Check into nrfl2401 transceivers.
2.4GHz Transceiver Low Power nRF24L01+

Looking at Google results, it looks like the max range for those is approximately 200 feet at 250 kbps, although I assume that was tested on the maximum power output of 0 dbm. Do you know how much lower it gets when adjusted to -6/-12/-18 dbm?

I do not.