Go Down

Topic: Hundreds of temporary files left behind (Read 5288 times) previous topic - next topic

mellis

The console logs were intentionally left behind by Processing for help with debugging, but since we haven't tended to use them in Arduino, I applied Paul's patch to remove them.  The jna files being left behind sounds like a result of Java crashing, and I'm not sure what we can do about them.

vwlowen

The jna file deletes on exit.

Closing the IDE "gracefully" leaves behind console and untitled folders.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about you having applied Paul's patch.  As an Arduino newcomer, I just downloaded the latest (and only supported) version of the IDE.

John.

pYro_65

Dec 31, 2011, 09:18 am Last Edit: Dec 31, 2011, 09:20 am by pYro_65 Reason: 1
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but in windows, you can set the task scheduler to run disk cleanup which will delete all temporary files in user, local, and system temporary folders.

Set to run every night or once a week with defrag will keep on top of the files for you.

alternatively you can use the task scheduler to run a custom .bat to delete specifics
Forum Mod anyone?
https://arduino.land/Moduino/

pjrc

I'm not sure I understand your comment about you having applied Paul's patch.  As an Arduino newcomer, I just downloaded the latest (and only supported) version of the IDE.

That means it will (very likely) become part of the next release.  Of course, if you download the latest code from github, and set up JDK and ant (and a ton of other stuff if you're stuck on Windows), you can build your own copy of Arduino from the very latest code.  Usually that only makes sense if you're planning to actually hack on the code and submit patches.  If you're just getting started with Arduino, it's best to stay with the official releases.

My patch only dealt with the console files.  I've noticed the untitled ones piling up too, though not as fast.  I'm sure someday those will bother me enough to develop a fix and submit another patch.  But I may not get around to that for a very long time, if ever.  So if they're bothering you now, the full source code and free tools to hack on it are just a few clicks and downloads away.....

Go Up