Your latest purchase

Graynomad:

A quality telephoto for my nature shots. Almost as much for that one lens as it was to replace all that hardware!

Here's my last lens purchase

A 400mm f4 DO, $7000 near new.

For nature there's nothing like a shit-hot tele lens.

Rob

I used to have a Canon 200mm f/1.8 which is a similar built lens, really big and stubby, not as modern as this thing. When the used price on it went to $4k on eBay after it was discontinued I sold it off. The only piece of technology equipment I ever made a profit on. (bought it for $2K used when they were still in production).

@draythomp
Yes it's one nice lens. I had a 300/2.8 for years with my old Canon FD system but all that went when I changed to digital a few years ago.

This 400 is smaller and lighter than the 300/2.8, light enough to carry around just in case you need it.

@JoeN
The 200/1.8 is quite similar physically but of course useful for a very different type of photography.

I got this 2nd hand but not used from a press photographer who decided to get something bigger. When I first decided to get one they were $12k and I just couldn't justify that. I got this for something like $6995 and I see they are now $8000+ at DigitalRev.

This is one great lens, wide open with a 1.4 converter it's as sharp as a tack. This and my 1D with a flash and better beamer is my standard wildlife kit these days.

Rob

like 7$ shipping

I called up my IT guy and a box of laptop power supplies showed up on my door next day, like 20 - 30 of them. More if I had wanted.

They cannot get rid of them fast enough.

Graynomad:
@JoeN
The 200/1.8 is quite similar physically but of course useful for a very different type of photography.

Oh, I know. I was more focusing on the "big-ass white Canon lens with a HUGE front element" thing. I know it isn't important but these types of lenses are physically impressive.

these types of lenses are physically impressive.

Why do you think I bought it :slight_smile:

Actually this sort of thing is why I bought it

Rob

Those photos get a bigger WOW than the lens! Very nice, Rob!

Thanks, it keeps me off the streets :slight_smile:

More here if you want to have a look.

http://graynomad.smugmug.com/

And please take my poll here

http://robgray.com/grayoutdoors/poll.php

Rob

JoeN:

Graynomad:
@JoeN

Oh, I know. I was more focusing on the "big-ass white Canon lens with a HUGE front element" thing. I know it isn't important but these types of lenses are physically impressive.

You mean size does matter? :smiley:

Is this cool or what?

Adjustable 20 watt max switching mode adjustable voltage regulator (step down) with adjustable automatic current limiter (0-2A), and with display switchable to input voltage, output voltage, or output current draw or alternating display. I couldn't pass it up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170929163665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Graynomad:
And please take my poll here
http://robgray.com/grayoutdoors/poll.php

XD

Only $11, amazing. I might grab a couple myself.

@CB
Totally unbiased, honest.

Rob

I couldn't pass up one of these:

photo.png

Since I believe the Motorola 6809 was the best 8-bit microprocessor ever made, I ordered a couple while they are still available. I ordered a couple of 6821s (PIA) and 6850s (ACIA) while I was at it. I need to find some compatible SRAM and some program storage memory that is relatively easy to program as I have no idea where my EPROM programmer has gotten off to. Any recommendations welcome.

Does anyone remember the "computer" from 70's made out of long plastic switches and wires and lights? You stuck pre-printed paper in the plastic in front of the lights. You stuck wires in the holes. Each lever switched like 8 switches which were wired in parallel. I didn't know who else to ask this question to, so I thought I'd try here. It's related to the post about the gravity powered computer above.

Wafer connectors from dipmicro.com
Many sizes to play with, yeah!
The kit did't include the box.

6809 was the best 8-bit microprocessor ever made, I ordered a couple while they are still available.

I used to program on a 6809 as well. How about we make a retro dual processor (09/Z80) board :slight_smile:

compatible SRAM and some program storage memory that is relatively easy to program as I have no idea where my EPROM programmer has gotten off to. Any recommendations welcome.

There's plenty of SRAM around these days that will work. As for the EPROM, maybe use flash or just battery-back the SRAM. You could build in a modern micro to act as a programmer.

Another idea is to have an modern micro actually serve the EPROM data.

Rob

![](http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ABM-Sensor-Ultrasonic-Distance-Measurement-Sensor-0-7-20-ft-/16/!Bcme0Iw!2k~$(KGrHqQH-EYEquVLEsYUBK1MD8Rpzg~~_1.JPG)

An ABM Ultrasonic Industrial sensor (used for measuring fullness of large tanks, I think), .7 - 20ft range, absolutely no idea what to use it for, but won the auction on a 99 cent bid with free shipping. 4- 20ma current loop it says, I'll have to research it a bit.

I love oddball stuff....

Graynomad:

6809 was the best 8-bit microprocessor ever made, I ordered a couple while they are still available.

I used to program on a 6809 as well. How about we make a retro dual processor (09/Z80) board :slight_smile:

compatible SRAM and some program storage memory that is relatively easy to program as I have no idea where my EPROM programmer has gotten off to. Any recommendations welcome.

There's plenty of SRAM around these days that will work. As for the EPROM, maybe use flash or just battery-back the SRAM. You could build in a modern micro to act as a programmer.

Another idea is to have an modern micro actually serve the EPROM data.

Rob

I would certainly be willing to work on the 6809 half. :slight_smile: I had a Z80 CP/M machine (Big Board) but didn't do much hardware development on the Z80. As I recall though, it was very Motorola like at the bus level so it would be a good match.

I have already started thinking about the memory. Battery backed ram might be the way to go. On the other hand I was thinking about building a programmer for EEPROM that ran off my Raspberry Pi. I have already compiled and tested a cross assembler that runs nicely on the Pi and I thought since the hex files would already be on it it would make sense to use it for the programmer.

How would you propose serving the EPROM data via micro?

focalist:
![](http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ABM-Sensor-Ultrasonic-Distance-Measurement-Sensor-0-7-20-ft-/16/!Bcme0Iw!2k~$(KGrHqQH-EYEquVLEsYUBK1MD8Rpzg~~_1.JPG)

An ABM Ultrasonic Industrial sensor (used for measuring fullness of large tanks, I think), .7 - 20ft range, absolutely no idea what to use it for, but won the auction on a 99 cent bid with free shipping. 4- 20ma current loop it says, I'll have to research it a bit.

I love oddball stuff....

If it's functional that will be quite a buy as it appears to be an industrial unit and probably cost well north of $1K. First thing to determine if it's a simple loop wired '2 wire transmitter', meaning it has only two terminals to wire to. If so a simple current loop wiring would be a +12 to +24vdc power supply to positive terminal of unit, - terminal of unit to 150 ohm resistor, other end of resistor to negative of the 24vdc power supply. You can then read the analog measurement range as a +1 to +5vdc voltage across the resistor. This is easy to interface to a arduino analog input pin, just wire a common ground from the 24 volt negative to an arduino ground pin and the other end of the 150 ohm resistor to an analog input pin.

Might this be the datasheet? http://www.abmsensor.com/pdf/2010092wire-sanit.pdf

Lefty

Yep, looks like it. I believe it is the version without the RS-232 or 485 interface, it's NOS surplus from a PLC reseller.

Should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday..