Arduino software with own PCBs - a note for the suggestion box

Hi arduino project people

It would be great if it was possible to use the arduino IDE to develop software, then upload the hex file via an avrispmkii to an AVR Atmega328 target board - no bootloader, just the compiled hex file.

It is of course possible now, but you need to go hunting for the .hex file in your temporary files (the name changes with each build...) then use AVRStudio to set the fuses and burn the hex file to the target.

I love the arduino platform - free, legal, and the pre-built libraries are super-convenient. It would be great if we could select "own PCB and avrispmkii", and burn without bootloader.

Also, if anyone can see a way to do it with the current software, please let me know!
(I have tried some suggested edits to boards.txt etc, but i still get "did not find any USB device")

Thanks!

I do what you suggest all the time from within the IDE.
Step 1. Select board type. I select by Bobuino board type '1284P with a pin mapping I prefer.
Step 2. Select programmer (AVR ISP MKii)
Step 3. Burn the bootloader, this sets the fuses for 16 MHz operation.
Step 4. File:Upload Using Programmer. This loads the hex file for bootloaderless operation.

Ditch the Arduino "IDE" and use the command line, or use make or some other kind of script. Then you can specify anything you can dream up. I assume you are on windows, so whipping up a batch file that calls avr-dude shouldn't be all that difficult, really.

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions.