Can't upload sketch to Diecimila upgraded to 328

I have a Diecimila 168 (original, not clone) that works, I can upload sketches to it.

I also have a couple of 328 chips preprogrammed with the bootloader, which I bought about three years ago and never used. I'm trying to upgrade the Diecimila to the 328 chip.

When I plug in the 328 chip, it appears to be running the Fade example sketch, so seems to be working. However, when I try to upload Blink, I get "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00"

I have selected the correct chip in from the Tools menu and, if I select the 168, I get a message "Wrong microcontroller found". This suggests the Arduino software is actually communicating with the chip, just not uploading sketches.

I'm running 1.5.1 Arduino software on OSX 10.8.2, so everything is up to date.

Any hints and suggestions for what to look at gratefully received.

Thanks,

Julian

Try not using 1.5.1.

Which bootloader is on them? You might have to try as Duemilanove or Uno to get them to program.

Thanks for those suggestions. I've now installed Arduino 1.0.3 and the problem is the same. Duemilanove is the same Board option on the menu as Diecimila, so I can't choose a different option. If I choose a 168 board it tells me I have specified the wrong processor, so it seems some communication is going on.

Julian

I've solved the problem by burning a new bootloader. I guess the one that was already present, which was three years old, was not compatible with the present upload software.

To burn a new bootloader, I used another Arduino as programmer. See instructions at http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

You are lucky.

I have two boards with the same problem.

I can't even get a boot loader onto them.

Taken it to someone else and even he has given up on them both.