Would you like to help me testing a service to send alerts via IM?

Hi all,

I am developing a service to easily send alerts via IM like Telegram, Skype and Messenger (and maybe others in the future).
I developed it with the aim to make things very easy, so the service can be consumed on IOT devices too: it only requires a simple API call.

I would like to test it on Arduino, but I have no real development experience on it. Is there someone willing to help me?
What I would like to do is test the service on a real Arduino environment and create code samples to share with other users.

In the case this is the service: https://ezalert.me

Maurizio

Do you have anything working already?
Those services are notorious for not providing an API to send messages or so without using their app/website.

You got exactly the point! That's why what I developed IS a simple API.

Please have a look at this doc: How EZAlert.me works

Basically what we need to do on Arduino is a GET http request to an URL like the following:

https://ezalert.me/v1/sendAlert?apikey=YY-YYYYYYYYY&text=This%20is%20the%20alert

Obviously Arduino should have a Ethernet/WiFi port. :slight_smile:

I read somewhere that there is a "HttpClient" class that can make http calls, but as I said... I don't know anything about programming Arduino.

In the case, I also have a Repo on github with examples about how to call EZAlert API in various languages:

Maurizio

Good luck keeping your web scraper up to date... The moment they find out about you, your service will be done for.
Twitter is afaik the only such service that accepts bots - so a large part, possibly most, of the messages on that platform are from bots.

Actually the whole service is built on the real services APIs. It's not a scraper.

And the working bots for Telegram, Skype and Messenger are official bots registered and authorized on the IM platforms.

ok.. so I get that you can send your API some data using the following URL:

https://ezalert.me/v1/sendAlert?apikey=YY-YYYYYYYYY&text=This%20is%20the%20alert

But then what?

What I'm not clear about is the following:

1. What API key is supposed to be supplied? (one someone gets from you?)

Update: Maybe describing/outlining the process will help you if your aim is to make this easy/simple.

Go here:

I'm failing to grasp how to this works I guess?

So to get this 'alert'.. we need to be using your IM app/client... is that it?

Example scenario:

Me and bunch of my buddies (for whatever reason) all decide to start using your IM client/app..
Because this new add-on (API) feature... we can use external devices (PHP scripts, Arduino's...etc..etc.. yadda yadda).. to trigger/send a message?

or this sends IM messages to existing IM frame works?

ie:

• Telegram
  • Facebook Messenger
If the later..(which I think is what your saying it does).. How does one CHOOSE what end point client to send the IM to?
Or does it spam all of them?
Maybe you can walk through some real-case uses.. and how it works (without any code/techno-bable talk).. so others can get an idea on how to set this up...

Like how does your API know about my Skype or Facebook presence? We fill out this stuff in our 'account making step' on your site? What info do you collect pertaining to ones social media accounts? Just a user/account name?
What stopping me from putting in @wvmarle 's FB account nick.. and spamming him via Arduino all day? :slight_smile:

I think these topics are what needs to be fully discussed and as transparent as can be.

I dont mind trying to help you out.. I can throw your URL in some Arduino sketch and see what happens. (but Im not to confident on the account set-up, API key requesting...and all those steps)

xl97,

first of all, thank you for your help.

The service is quite simple: basically you create an account on the EZAlert.me site, and you setup one (or more) "channels".
Each channel has a code, like XX-XXXXXXX that identified it in the bots.
You add one of the EZAlert.me bots (eg Skype bot) and send it the XX-XXXX code to let it know you want to receive alerts from your channel.
If you have friends/collegues/other devices that have to receive those alerts, just share with them the channel XX-XXXXX code and let them subscribe to your channel.
Each channel also have an API key to use in the API calls (the YY-YYYYYY in the sample call) to push new alerts in the channel.
The key used to call the API and the one to subscribe to the channel is different, to improve the security.

So, if you want to test the whole stuff:

• create an account on the EZALert.me site here: Register to EZAlert.me
  • follow the instructions and get your alert "channel" set up.
  • Get the 2 code:
  • send the channel "start code" to one of the supported bots (Skype, FB Messenger and Telegram so far) to let it know which channel you want to receive alerts from
  • Use the channel API key to actually send alerts to the channel

Once you registered please let me know so that I can raise your hourly api call limit (at the moment I am keeping it low because the whole system is in a beta phase).

About data collection/spam...good question! I just realized I have to be more clear on that in FAQ section of the site.
In any event EZAlert.me only gets the minimum set of info we need to run the service, which basically are the conversation Token (needed to send you IM), your account name and your name.
And NO, EZAlert.me do not spam or send any kind of advertisement via the service. The only messages you will receive are your alerts and service related messages.

About the use cases, I can describe how I use it: I have my own account on EZAlert.me and I use it to monitor my online servers. I use a OSS called Monit that monitors running processes and services and can start a script if something go wrong.
Like: smtp server does not respond? Or http server takes more than 20 seconds to replay? Or used swap memory is over 60%? Then call an alert script. In the alert script I call EZAlert.me API to send the me the alart on both Skype and Telegram.

Another use case I am working on (not fully implemented yet) is: I have photovoltaic panels at home and a Fronius inverter with a very good monitoring API. I also have a small server (that could be replaced by an Arduino with wiFi): I want every day the server get the final daily power production data and send me an alert with the info.

M.