error: espcomm_open failed

Hi,
I am trying to program nodeMCU 1.0 (ESP 12E Module) using Arduino IDE. I install the library for ESP8266 using "Installing with Boards Manager".

Problem : When I try to upload the sketch, It's shows error.

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

Here is my connection:

D3(GPIO0) ----> ground.
EN(enable) ---> VCC(3V3)
A micro USB cable is used to program the MCU
The attachment shows my IDE settings..

Can anyone please suggest a solution ?

Regards,

Capture123.PNG

where does the TX and RX pin goes? What kind of device you are using to program the ESP? Give us some link of the USB programmer.

Hi Sarouje,

sarouje:
where does the TX and RX pin goes? What kind of device you are using to program the ESP? Give us some link of the USB programmer.

I don't know what you are asking ! In the beginning of my post, I already mentioned that I am using nodeMCU 1.0 ... The module include ESP8266 and USB to serial bridge IC(CH340G). A micro USB cable can directly connected to it to program.

please reffer ::NodeMCU - Wikipedia

My mistake, I didnt pay attention to nodeMCU, also i havent used that device. From your screen shot I feel the port is disabled. Can you check whether any driver is pending to install in Device Manager (hope you use windows).

You might have seen this already http://www.instructables.com/id/Programming-ESP8266-ESP-12E-NodeMCU-Using-Arduino-/?ALLSTEPS

Hi,

My port is connected to COM6 (actually my MCU was not connected when the time of screen short taken). My problem is that I can't upload my sketch due to above reason.

How do you put the ESP into programming mode? My ESP modules must have pin 0 pulled low during reset to go to program mode.

groundfungus:
How do you put the ESP into programming mode? My ESP modules must have pin 0 pulled low during reset to go to program mode.

In my nodeMCU module, the Pin 0 of ESP is internally grounded to achieve programming mode.

Here is my connection:

D3(GPIO0) ----> ground.
EN(enable) ---> VCC(3V3)
A micro USB cable is used to program the MCU

These connections are no necessary.
Just plug in the USB cable and click "Upload"

Hello All,

I am facing identical error messages on NodeMCU board ESP-12 V1.0.

I started with 2 NodeMCU boards. Both were working normally for more than a month on different PCs running XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Today I was making one as a UDP server and other as a UDP client and effecting simple data transfer. It worked for about 2 hours.

I was connecting the pin D0 to an external active buzzer (feeding it to base of transistor BC547 driving the buzzer) so that it would sound a ping whenever new packet arrived.

After I connected buzzer, suddenly one of the boards showed this error while uploading the sketch. After that it would not upload even the blink sketch. I tried UPLOADING ON different computers, WITH different usb cables but the board refuses to communicate with IDE.

1. Funnily, whatever last code was burnt into it, is still working fine and the serial messages are seen on Serial Monitor or HyperTerminal. That means that onboard serial to USB conversion is and USB driver and functioning well.

2. On the same PC and same setup, another board is uploading all the sketch perfectly so IDE and driver seem to be OK.

3. I connected external 5V and GND to VIN and GND and repeated the procedure but still get teh same error.

It is just that it is not allowing any more sketch uploading.

Is it possible to rescue the board or should I just junk it?

Thanks in advance..

-Prakash W Dandekar

Hello all,

Bumping this thread. I am having the same issue with the board as Prakash. My last successfully uploaded sketch still works, but my serial port no longer can detect the board. Can these boards still be salvaged?

Thanks,
Hao

I am getting following same error while uploading the blink sketch to ESP-01 like Arduino Project Hub :

"warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed "

I am using external 3.3V supply (External GND also connected to arduino uno GND)
ESP-01 Rx--->Uno RX
ESP-01 Tx--->Uno TX (Also tried reverse RX TX combination)
GPIO0-------> GND
GPIO2-------> Open(Tried to connecting LED also as done there , but problem continues)

Don't know, where i am doing wrong????????

Hey guys had the same Problem. For me the solution was to use a better USB cable that provides better power supply. cheers

BambiDruino:
Hey guys had the same Problem. For me the solution was to use a better USB cable that provides better power supply. cheers

Same here, I change the cable and works straight away, the port can be seen on the Tools menu in Arduino IDE. (It was previously greyed)

Hello Guys, I too had the problem. Now I found out what was the problem. When I went to Device Manager I found that in ports -> CP2102 driver is not installed. So I googled it & downloaded the CP210x driver and installed. Now it works like charm. Here is the driver link: https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

In some blogs, I have seen that the port current is not enough to upload the code. For this try with a small USB cable than a longer one because the longer the cable higher the resistance and the current will be less.

i ran an example from the software on my esp8266 nodemcu v1.0 i also installed the drivers and just connected the module to the PC via micro USB cable. i selected the esp8266 for the example. and still getting the same error if anyone knows how to fix this please reply to this comment for the same.
thank you

samarth605:
i ran an example from the software on my esp8266 nodemcu v1.0 i also installed the drivers and just connected the module to the PC via micro USB cable. i selected the esp8266 for the example. and still getting the same error if anyone knows how to fix this please reply to this comment for the same.
thank you

Not a data micro USB cable; yours just charges.

Hi
i had this proble when i upload the scketch

erreur:
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
Une erreur est survenue lors du transfert du croquis

In my case trying again works many times.

Some other times closing the IDE and then opening it again helps.
But I also don't know why this happens.