How can I attach a crank like this to a motor like this?

Here is the setup I'm going for:

Here is my motor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280875300072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

What kind of connections do I need to make this happen?

Looks like a lot of improvisation (wood, tape, hot-melt glue...)

You can, too!

Looks like maybe hot glue.

They are 1.3V, are you using a 5V Arduino ? Why would you use 1.3V motors ?
They are 18000 rpm, why would you want to wiggle the tail with 18000 rpm ? Is it a very fast fish ?
Can you use a servo ?

Any hobby shops near you that have Model Airplane supplies? They have thins like small shaft collars that are made of brass, and brass plate. You could solder the shaft collar to a piece of brass plate and then (using the set screw in the shaft collar) mount the crank to the motor.

Hey guys - nice of you to offer useful answers and ideas to the question that was asked.... Try to be helpful, not just geniuses...

kf2qd:
Any hobby shops near you that have Model Airplane supplies? They have thins like small shaft collars that are made of brass, and brass plate. You could solder the shaft collar to a piece of brass plate and then (using the set screw in the shaft collar) mount the crank to the motor.

Hey guys - nice of you to offer useful answers and ideas to the question that was asked.... Try to be helpful, not just geniuses...

You interpreted differently than "we" did.
That's OK.
If he wanted to do it like the picture, we gave our take on that ("Improvise, that's how we won the war.")
Anybody can go spend money.

I heart JBWeld !

Thanks for the tips. I guess a big question I have that I didn't explicitly ask is: how do you attach things to the motor shaft (or whatever the rod sticking out of it is called)?? It is totally smooth so it doesn't make sense to me how one would connect something. I would also love to just extend the rod like 8 inches (shuttup) so how would I do that? Do I remove the shaft that is already there and replace it or is there an adapter?

prismspecs:
Thanks for the tips. I guess a big question I have that I didn't explicitly ask is: how do you attach things to the motor shaft (or whatever the rod sticking out of it is called)?? It is totally smooth so it doesn't make sense to me how one would connect something. [...] Do I remove the shaft that is already there and replace it or is there an adapter?

The drawing at the ebay link shows the shaft diameter is "0.8"
I guess it's the French system (mm)

Most couplers (hubs, bushings) I've seen are for 2mm, 3mm, 4mm

http://banebots.com/c/WHB-HM-HS4

These small motors (called pager motors) are used in micro airplanes, and usually the propellor is just a press to fit solution.
Make a 0.5 mm hole in the material you want to use, and press it on the shaft.

:smiley:

A good one, I think the only country still using Inches is USA XD

If you are not transmitting a lot of torque you could actually use a short length of fine bore rubber tubing as a shaft coupling. If necessary a small drop of super-glue can be put into the tube bore to enhance the grip - just make sure it doesn't get into the motor internals !

If you were really crafty, and had a way to keep the shaft from turning (or could remove the armature from the motor), you could thread the shaft with the right miniature die (you could probably find a miniature tap and die set here: http://www.micromark.com/). Then, tap the part you're wanting to mount, and thread it on (maybe with a small bit of thread lock).

Erni:
These small motors (called pager motors) are used in micro airplanes, and usually the propellor is just a press to fit solution.
Make a 0.5 mm hole in the material you want to use, and press it on the shaft.

:smiley:

A good one, I think the only country still using Inches is USA XD

Well the UK is mainly switched to metric in technical/engineering areas now except for legacy applications,
but things like beer units and road speed are still imperial (political conservatism). People
commonly use a mix of metric and imperial in everyday use now. SI will prevail everywhere in the long term I
think just because

1 - The convenience of almost no conversion factors needed (consider calculating horse-power from torque
in foot-pounds and RPM - in SI power = torque * frequency * 2pi

2 The fact electrical units are already SI and directly tied to the metre/newton/joule/watt. For instance farads
are a shorthand for columbs-squared-per-joule, volts are watts-per-amp, volts-per-metre = newtons-per-coulomb.

Farads are coulombs per volt.