Missing digital signature for driver on Windows 8

This is on Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta), but there's no reason to think this will change (unless it's a Windows bug, and then I should report it).

When installing the driver, Windows will report the error:
"The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information"

From what I can tell, the driver needs to be signed to work on anything past Vista, but my 64bit Win7 machine is fine with the same driver that Win8 is rejecting.

Is there a way I can get past this, or is the signature there and somehow not valid (Windows problem?)?

I'm still getting the same issue, win8 doesn't like the digital signature.

I have not tried disabling driver verification (its a boot option) to install this. I assume it would work, but since I am not required to do that on Win7, I'd more like to figure out what's going on here.

FYI, I reinstalled the driver on Windows7 to check the behavvior (since I couldn't remember).

On 7, installing the driver produces a warning box stating "Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" but gives you the option to continue, or cancel.

On 8, I've gotten no such option, it seems signing is enforced. This is annoying, and I imagine there must be a way to turn it off (otherwise, what happens to legacy devices that don't have driver support?).

This is annoying, and I imagine there must be a way to turn it off (otherwise, what happens to legacy devices that don't have driver support?).

If you are a legitimate beta tester, you should report the issue. Could be just in the beta so that issues with bad drivers don't impact the testing.

Sorry to hear that the updated inf did not help.
I will need to get a copy of the Windows 8 beta to see if I can figure anything out.

The driver that the Arduino is trying to use is a Microsoft in box driver (usbser.sys), the .inf simply instructs the OS to use that driver when the Arduino is attached to the system.

Well after a day struggling with this i'll go back to 7.
It seems that the driver must be signed.. strange because it's part of windows.
Hope in a future this is solved, but for now it's to soon to adopt Windows 8 Consumer Preview as a stable PC OS to use with a Arduino.

This is on Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta)...

32 bit? 64 bit?

NOTE: Please use the procedure located at the following link:

Finally it worked after 3 times of driver installation.

Thanks a lot Louis.

Z

The CAT file just contains the INF?

This MSDN article explains what a catalog file is:

It basically certifies that the .inf file is authentic and has not been tampered with after the catalog file was created.

opqdan:
This is on Windows 8 ...

I have Windows 95. Looks like you have some catching up to do. :slight_smile:

Worked very well for me. Many thanks for your help here!

I have come up with an alternative method to install the Arduino drivers on Windows 8.
This method does not require new driver files or installation of a test signature.

1. Windows Key + R
  2. Enter shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
  3. Click the "OK" button
  4. System will restart to a "Choose an option" screen
  5. Select "Troubleshoot" from "Choose an option" screen
  6. Select "Advanced options" from "Troubleshoot" screen
  7. Select "Windows Startup Settings" from "Advanced options" screen
  8. Click "Restart" button
  9. System will restart to "Advanced Boot Options" screen
  10. Select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"
  11. Once the system starts, install the Arduino drivers as you would on Windows 7

Steps to install driver after Driver Signature Enforcement has been disabled:

1. Right click the Unknown Device in Device Manager
  2. Select Update Driver Software
  3. Select Browse my computer for software
  4. Click Browse button
  5. Select the Drivers folder under the location of your Arduino software installation. (Do not select the FTDI folder inside the Drivers folder)
  6. Click OK
  7. Click Next

Update:
If you have a new system that came with Win 8 pre-installed, Secure Boot has probably been enabled in the BIOS.
The steps above, probably will not work unless Secure Boot has been disabled in the BIOS before performing these steps.

Thank you so much for this solution. Just got my UNO today and was having problems installing it on Win8. Cheers! XD

I'm still getting an error that the device is:

(This device cannot start. (Code 10) - A request for the USB device descriptor failed.)

I got pass the driver verification and successfully installed it, but something doesn't seem to be working right! It has been two days that I'm trying to get my arduino to even blink...

any help please :frowning:

Thanks to Louis I found that Code 10 meant I was using an old USB cable, all I did was buy a new one and now it's running beautifully!

Thanks Guys !
That was really helpful :slight_smile:

I had read that Win8 was going to be tougher regarding unsigned drivers. Thanks for going through the hassle needed to make this work!

Thanks for sharing! I'm trying to access this menu using Windows 8 Release Preview on my Samsung 7 Slate. When I arrive at the screen to select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement", nothing happens. My USB keyboard isn't registering, is there something I'm missing re: how to access this menu item? Thanks in advance for your help!