Baudrate mismatch between board and serial monitor

Hello,

I have an Arduino Pro Mini connected to a Mac computer over a FTDI to USB converter. I set my program to send data to the serial port at a rate of 9600 kbps. However I need to set the serial monitor to 4800 kbps to get a correct display (Arduino 1.05).

What's wrong ?

Thank you in advance.

9600 kbps or 9600 bps?

if you use 1.0.4 or another serial terminal app, does it show the same factor?

Is that 3.3/8MHz Promini? That with a 16 MHz bootloader would have that effect.

Sure, it's bps, not kbps.

The board is a Watterott clone, Wattuino 5V/16 MHz with 328 and I choose the correspondant Pro/Pro Mini setting in the software.

The mismatch happens also with Arduino 1.04.

Your description sounds like you got the 8MHz promini and not the 16 MHz promini.

Is there any way to test the board to check it doubtless ?

Looks like there is a box they tick on the back. Conceivably they got it wrong.

Can you see a frequency printed/stamped on the resonator?

Nick, do you have any idea where the resonator is on the board and how it looks like ?

The resonator is a silver component located besides the AVR. However it's so tiny I can't see the figures on top.

I had another suggestion: measuring the voltage between VCC output and GND. And indeed the board is a 3.3 version. But in between I have checked my orders and discovered I had indeed ordered 3.3V boards, not only 5V boards. I couldn't check visually because the board's bottom is covered with Velcro to tie the board to cloth. So I guess there's no error from the maker but from me only. Duh. :blush:

I think it's the silver thing directly above the RST pin.

CrossRoads:
Is that 3.3/8MHz Promini? That with a 16 MHz bootloader would have that effect.

Thank you so much @CrossRoads. Your answers has helped me more then once in this forum. Respect