Boolean memory size

Hi

I was wondering if a boolean gets saved as one bit, or as a full byte. Since it makes a huge difference in memory usage, but I don't know if the arduino is able to address only on bit. So if you'd save 8 booleans, that would still only take up 1 byte instead of 8 bytes, or is this false?

Thanks

A boolean takes up one byte in C++ (zero or not zero for false/true); you can use bit fields in C/C++ that take up single bits; eight of them (one bit each) take up a single byte again.

kind regards,

Jos

Try something like:

Serial.print(sizeof(boolean));

This will print the number of bytes used for booleans.

JosAH:
A boolean takes up one byte in C++ (zero or not zero for false/true); you can use bit fields in C/C++ that take up single bits; eight of them (one bit each) take up a single byte again.

kind regards,

Jos

Well that was the alternate way I'd do it, just generate one bit booleans myself, thanks.

bit fields work in structs, each individual variable must be addressable and thus is at least a byte (the unit
of addressing).

Don't forget to pack your structs so that they take up the least space possible. I also tend to unionise my bitfields so I have a handy byte / int / etc for setting them / clearing them en-masse:

struct flags {
  union {
    unsigned char value;
    struct {
      unsigned on:1;
      unsigned error:1;
      unsigned ping:1;
      unsigned rate:3;
      unsigned size:2;
    };
  };
} __attribute__((packed));

struct flags f;

f.on, f.error, f.ping will all take a 0 or 1, f.rate will take a number between 0 and 7, and f.size will take a number between 0 and 3 - and all in the space of a byte which can be accessed as f.value.