[SOLVED]Leonardo Clone 32u4 based board it is not recognized in USB port

Hi,

I did a board based on Arduino Leonardo design. After that I burned Caterina-Leonardo.hex bootloader and set the fuses like this:

leonardo.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
leonardo.bootloader.high_fuses=0xd8
leonardo.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xcb
leonardo.bootloader.lock_bits=0x2F

Until now everything its fine.

But when I try to connect the board in my computer, I have this message

(Ubuntu dmesg command)

[11183.348043] usb 5-2: new low-speed USB device number 97 using uhci_hcd
[11183.528035] usb 5-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[11183.808033] usb 5-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[11184.080029] usb 5-2: new low-speed USB device number 98 using uhci_hcd
[11184.488034] usb 5-2: device not accepting address 98, error -71
[11184.600043] usb 5-2: new low-speed USB device number 99 using uhci_hcd
[11185.012038] usb 5-2: device not accepting address 99, error -71
[11185.012064] hub 5-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

I also tried on Windows, and it sais "USB Device Unrecognized"

Any Idea?

I worked a lot in this board, and now I dont know how to solve this.
thanks a lot!

Sounds more like harware problem, can u post the schem?.

I thinking on a leak of capacitive on the UCap.

Try to use the same layout of the leonardo.

i'll really appreciate if you can check this problem

ps: The schematich file it is atached

leolivre.pdf (62.4 KB)

Some extra information about signals,

when it is connected in the computer usb

I did some measurements with the multimeter:

vbus (7) 4.9v
vcc (14) 4,9v
uvcc (2) 4,92v
avcc (24) not connected
avcc2 (44) not connected
d+, d- wires are ok.
ucap (6) 3,3v
aref (42) gnd
ugnd (5) gnd
pins 15, 23, 35 and 43 gnd

Why did you leave AVCC & AVCC2 not connected?

"AVCC is the supply voltage pin (input) for all the A/D Converter channels. If the ADC is not used,
it should be externally connected to VCC. If the ADC is used, it should be connected to VCC
through a low-pass filter."

You are running the chip only partially powered.

There is also a lack of any power supply decoupling caps - should have a 0.1uF on every VCC/AVCC pin.

Try removing R4 - it may be interfering with your clock signal.

CrossRoads:
Why did you leave AVCC & AVCC2 not connected?

"AVCC is the supply voltage pin (input) for all the A/D Converter channels. If the ADC is not used,
it should be externally connected to VCC. If the ADC is used, it should be connected to VCC
through a low-pass filter."

You are running the chip only partially powered.

There is also a lack of any power supply decoupling caps - should have a 0.1uF on every VCC/AVCC pin.

Try removing R4 - it may be interfering with your clock signal.

Hi,

It's not connected because I coudnt find the right inductor. It will be connected, but atually it isnt. I think USB port shoud work anyway...but i'm not sure.

I will add some 0.1uF caps as you said.

I had removed R4 before this problem started.

Put a jumper across your inductor pads. At the worst, your ADC signals may be a little bit noisy, if you are using ADC.

Ok, done, but still not working :frowning:

I added some 0.1uF caps in vcc pins and also avcc it is now connected as you said. I'm still having the same result.

I watch d+ and d- at the oscilloscope and it look like dead. I did the same with another Arduino (mega) and it has some nice waves.

I don't know how to solve this :frowning:

Well except that I tied the AVCCs directly to VCC and that I'm using an oscillator and not a crystal, my (working) schematic is the same. However, I've seen similar dmesg outputs on some of my devices due to soldering problems at the USB connector. Also, are you sure the caterina bootloader is installed correctly? Fusebits set correctly?
Quote from my internal Wiki:

Bootloader Installation

In order to use the Atmega32U4 with the Arduino SDK, the Atmel bootloader that is factory-default has to be replaced. In our setup, we use the Arduino Leonardo bootloader. It is called 'Caterina' and can be found in the Arduino directory:

arduino-1.0.2/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/caterina

Flash the bootloader to the chip using AVRDude:

avrdude -p m32U4 -P /dev/ttyS0 -U flash:w:Caterina-Leonardo.hex

After that, set the correct fusebits:

avrdude -p m32U4 -P /dev/ttyS0 -U lfuse:w:0xe0:m -U hfuse:w:0xd8:m -U efuse:w:0xcb:m

Try everything out:

avrdude -p m32U4 -P /dev/ttyS0 -nv

And you should get:

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as E0

avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as D8
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as CB

Now start the Arduino IDE. Select 'Arduino Leonardo' as your board and the matching '/dev/ttyACMn' port as port.

You can also check if the bootloader is running by connecting an LED to PC7. It should "breathe" (fade in/out) after startup.

Good Luck!

Well, I have good and bad news.

Good news, I did what you said, I had set the fuses as you propose and it worked. With "dmesg" command the board was recognized as a full speed usb device correctly (I think it was recognized as a mouse).
Then, just to check, I unpulgued the usb wire, and plugued it again, and nothing happened. This time, the board wasnt recognized. After that the board it's not working anymore. Microprocessor looks like dead. The voltage at Ucap (was 3.3v) now it is 0v. I cant reset de fuses with avrdude...I dont know whats happened.

Any Idea...??

I setted the fuses, plugued in, works, and then..die :S

Could the fuses be responsible of this? how?

The low fuse byte is wrong. 0xE0 is set for an external clock signal, not a crystal. You need to set the low fuse back to 0xFF for external Crystal Oscillator.

hiduino:
The low fuse byte is wrong. 0xE0 is set for an external clock signal, not a crystal. You need to set the low fuse back to 0xFF for external Crystal Oscillator.

Well, you were right. I didnt realize that kopfkopfkopfaffe said he wasnt using a cristal. Now the board It's live again, but with this configuration

(and external clock) I have the same problem at the begining of this post.

also with

(and a cristal) Same problem... :S

is the last configuration the default configuration for the fuses at leonardo board?

kopfkopfkopfaffe this is the output after burn the Caterina-Leonardo.hex file...but the led it is not breathing...

fede@leni:~$ avrdude -p m32U4 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -c avrisp -b 19200 -U flash:w:arduino/arduino/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "arduino/arduino/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex"
avrdude: input file arduino/arduino/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (32722 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 9.66s

avrdude: 32722 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against arduino/arduino/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file arduino/arduino/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex:
avrdude: input file arduino/arduino/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file arduino/arduino/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex contains 32722 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 19.13s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 32722 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

fede@leni:~$

The actual fuse state is

fede@leni:~$ avrdude -p m32u4 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -c avrisp -b 19200 -nv
avrdude: Version 5.11.1, compiled on Oct 30 2011 at 10:41:10
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/fede/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/ttyUSB0
         Using Programmer              : avrisp
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       1024    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel AVR ISP
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude done.  Thank you.

fede@leni:~$

weird, isn't it?

Any clue?

Well,

the led in pin pc7 its blinking :slight_smile:
Still the same problem of the beginning, but now we know that bootloader its running.

Here it is a short video Arduino Leonardo Clone it isn't recognized with problems at usb comunication - YouTube

If the low fuse byte is still at 0xE0 it may not be running stable.

Try to set it again:

avrdude -p m32u4 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -c avrisp -b 19200 -v -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m

I am sorry, low fuse it is FF, I think I had paste an old output,

actually it is

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as FF

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as FF

avrdude done.  Thank you.

How often does it blink? In the video it looks like it's breathing a few times (soft fading blinking) and then it stays lit for a while and then continues with a regular blink of about .5 Hz. Is that correct? In my application, the bootloader breathes a few times and then the LED is constantly OFF. Did you upload a blink-skech or something like that?

What you can also do is try the LUFA bootloader by Adafruit:

(Quote from my Wiki)

Lufa Bootloader

Bootloader Installation

In order to use the Atmega32U4 with the Arduino SDK, the Atmel bootloader that is factory-default has to be replaced. In our setup, we use the Adafruit fork of the LUFA bootloader that can be downloaded here: GitHub - adafruit/lufa-lib: Git mirror for the LUFA USB AVR Framework Library.

Flash the bootloader to the chip using AVRDude:

avrdude -p m32U4 -P /dev/ttyS0 -U flash:w:BootloaderCDC.hex

After that, set the correct fusebits:

avrdude -p m32U4 -P /dev/ttyS0 -U lfuse:w:0xe0:m -U hfuse:w:0xd8:m -U efuse:w:0xcb:m

Try everything out:

avrdude -p m32U4 -P /dev/ttyS0 -nv

And you should get:

**Modification in the Arduino IDE**

The bootloader will not be recognized by a fresh installation of the Arduino IDE. You need to modify the file "arduino-1.0.*n*/hardware/arduino/programmers.txt".
Add the following:

avr109.name=Adafruit Bootloader
avr109.communication=usb
avr109.protocol=avr109

Now restart the Arduino IDE. The bootloader should be listed as Adafruit Bootloader. Select that one to flash the Atmega32U4.

Again please note that I run the controller on an external clock. I can really recommend the Engbedded fusebit calculator to look up fusebit issues.

Hi kopfkopfkopfaffe,

How often does it blink? In the video it looks like it's breathing a few times (soft fading blinking) and then it stays lit for a while and then continues with a regular blink of about .5 Hz. Is that correct? In my application, the bootloader breathes a few times and then the LED is constantly OFF. Did you upload a blink-skech or something like that?

It is exactly as you said. Start with a breathing and then continues with a regular blink of 1Hz. I only burned the bootloader Caterina-Leonardo.hex.

Something weird to me is that after I had set the fuses like (e0, d8, cb - which was wrong because I have a external cristal), it works! The problem is that works only one time. That time My Ubuntu recognized as a high-speed usb device and also as a mouse. But after that doesnt work anymore (wich has sense because e0 its for external clock).

About the fuses, yep I read the datasheet, I am trying a fuse calculator, and this

configuration looks ok for me, but it isn't working :S

What you can also do is try the LUFA bootloader by Adafruit:

I will try right now.

Ok, I tried but no luck. The LUFA bootloader works right (led is working at pc6) but still no luck with usb.

I also tried a lot of configurations, with internal RC oscilator, with external clock. The bootloader seems to be working right because of the led (both LUA and Caterina-Leonardo) usb connection stills fails.

I tried out all of this configurations after study the 32u4 datasheet and the avr fuse calculator (every time with the right clock or oscilator configuration in the board, i mean, with a 16mhz external clock signal or without oscilator, or with an 16mhz external cristal)

1)
external oscilator with clock out

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as BF

2)
external oscilator with clock out and dividing 8 times o clock

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 3F

3)
external clock signal and clock out

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 92

4)
external clock signal and clock out

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as A2

nothing works.

I'm start thinking that the chip has a problem...which is really bad.

If anyone have any idea or anything else to test, it would be great.

I also had tested continuity from the chip microcontroller to the end of the usb wire, and its fine.
I had tested voltage in every pin of the microcontroller, and everything its perfect.

:frowning:

Can you post your layout and pictures of the board (bottom side)?

kopfkopfkopfaffe:
Can you post your layout and pictures of the board (bottom side)?

For Sure. The layout its in « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:05 PM » on this thread. I added here anyway.
Its the third position from the initial post (the initial its the first).

I also attached a bottom side pictures. I dont know if you want to see something in particular. Just let me know.

This answer took a while because I made some small improves of the board, and i did a new one. New board, new components, new microcontroler, same problem.

I had the theory that It colud be something with the micro, but the new board has exactly the same problem, the bootloader (Caterina-Leonardo) looks like working because the blink, but USB is not working. Because of that I think I have a design electrical mistake, but..I dont now where :S

leolivre.pdf (62.4 KB)