Arduino Programming Notebook

Hi all,

The Arduino Programming Notebook is now officially published in First Edition. It can be downloaded for free as a PDF or you can pay the publishing cost to buy the 40 page booklet over at Lulu: Page Not Found | Lulu Their print quality is really good and well worth the $5.33USD plus its awesome to support a company with a service like theirs.

This is the First Edition and while I made some changes since you last saw it, I just didnt have time to throw everything in the notebook that I wanted (or for that matter all the good suggestions from others) so I will keep this document fluid and try to have a revised edition out in the next 4 or 5 months with more schematics, pictures, and code. For now though I feel its a pretty darn good start and hopefully someone out there gets some use out of it.

Hope you all enjoy.
Brian

PS, Ive also updated the manuals section in the playground.

Hey, is there anything in the 'book' that's not online already?

In a matter of speaking yes and no. This project was to create a reference that was cohesive in language, format, and code geared for the beginner. Much of the original material came from various online sources so that if you didnt mind a few hundred clicks you could glean much of the information elsewhere. I felt that was too tough for the beginner so my intent was to simplify this process through a lot of editing and re-writing so that things remain as simple as possible, concepts build on each other, and the code is succinct and uncluttered while also expanding a little on the structure of the core programming language. I have looked to other texts on C programming to get the syntax as correct as possible in order to provide the best foundation.

If you already know this stuff then you most likely dont need this reference. But it is my hope that it will help the beginner get their head around the nuts and bolts of the programming language and be something to refer back to now and then as they go about writing programs for the first time. Also to me, there is something nice about a tangible physical reference hence the book form. It will allow you to flip through the material in the gratifying way that can only be made with dead trees. :wink:

So that was a long way of saying that there is nothing strictly proprietary in this notebook, but rather a simple, relatively easy to read collection of information that the truly dedicated could mostly find on their own.

Hope that helps,
Brian

Brian:

really nice work... this is great as the documentation for Arudino is sort of piecemeal at the moment, in that it is distributed across many many web pages. This brings it together in a nice cohesive format, and for only $5.33!

It must have been a lot of work, congratulations.

D

PS: I just ordered one... it's pretty cool that the Arduino project has turned you into an author!

Yeah, I can't decide if the information is presented on the web as cohesively as it could be, what your saying probably reinforces my suspicion that it's not, it took a while but I eventually got the hang of clicking around to get the info I needed, others may not be so patient or able.

Maybe they'll include it with the hardware they send out, that might be a considerate thing to do.

I like surprises, so I'll check it out to see if there's anything in it I hadn't already found :slight_smile:

I, for one, love the idea of having an arduino reference available in print. The book looks very good, and if my previous experience with Lulu is any indication, I'm sure it will be a quality product. (I just ordered one myself)

I just wish there were more schematics for interfacing with common sensors.

Thanks for your hard work.
Tim

i put Brian's book up on freeduino.org as well, and there have been about 125 downloads from that link alone. Nice work Brian!

D

Does anyone know what is the license of the latest version of the book? first i read about creative commons, but on Lulu it sais "Standard License".
I was thinking to translate the book for free download of course.

Does anyone know what is the license of the latest version of the book? first i read about creative commons, but on Lulu it sais "Standard License".
I was thinking to translate the book for free download of course.

The link on the lulu site is for the authors copyright. Copyright gives the author the right to license his work, which according to the download, the work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 License.

To view a copy of this license, visit: Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 Generic — CC BY-SA 2.5

Great work!

Would've saved me alot of time when I was new to the arduino.

I noticed one error that I think you should correct, because arrays is a subject of the frequently asked questions realm.

int myArray[5]; // declares integer array w/ 6 positions

Should be:

int myArray[5]; // declares integer array w/ 5 positions

Nice job!

You might want to really spell it out for the beginner:

int myArray[5]; // declares integer array w/ 5 positions, which, because
// they are zero indexed, are referenced as myArray[0]
// through myArray[4]