Topic: Your latest purchase (Read 303107 times) previous topic - next topic

ChrisTenone

I live in Arizona, what is a furnace?
Wubba lubba dub dub!

larryd

I live in Arizona, what is a furnace?
Ha ha, Arizona is a furnace ;)

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

travis_farmer

Electric supercharger (eBay)

ok, so i haven't purchased this, but the thought of having a supercharger in my 2014 Chevy Spark (1.2L engine) is highly amusing. ;)

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

ChrisTenone

Electric supercharger (eBay)

ok, so i haven't purchased this, but the thought of having a supercharger in my 2014 Chevy Spark (1.2L engine) is highly amusing. ;)

~Travis
Go for it!
Wubba lubba dub dub!

Robin2

Oct 13, 2017, 09:28 am Last Edit: Oct 13, 2017, 09:30 am by Robin2
ok, so i haven't purchased this, but the thought of having a supercharger in my 2014 Chevy Spark (1.2L engine) is highly amusing.
I missed the bit about the 1.2L engine when I first saw your Post.

You would probably get better performance just by gluing the fan to the roof and using it for direct propulsion. :)

I always thought 1.2L engines in the USA were just used as starter motors.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Coding Badly

I've worked on V-12 engines with a single cylinder larger than that.

allanhurst

Coding Badly

Caterpillar, Cummins, and many with no name plate.  The search phrase is "engines for gas compression".  They are generally the size of a small truck and require a much larger truck to move them around.

The large engines in my example actually have fairly normal starter motors.  The engines are "vented" when starting so the starter motor does not have to work very hard.  The first ignition does not happen until the crankshaft is up to speed.

Jet engines (Allison) are also used for gas compression.  Being near a jet engine running at 10,000+ RPM that is moving very large amounts of compressed natural gas at very close to critical pressure / critical temperature is an interesting experience.  Pondering all the possible failures boggles the mind.

travis_farmer

Go for it!
not in my budget this week, sadly.

I missed the bit about the 1.2L engine when I first saw your Post.

You would probably get better performance just by gluing the fan to the roof and using it for direct propulsion. :)

...R
I would rather strap a turbine jet engine to my car roof ;)

Jet engines (Allison) are also used for gas compression.  Being near a jet engine running at 10,000+ RPM that is moving very large amounts of compressed natural gas at very close to critical pressure / critical temperature is an interesting experience.  Pondering all the possible failures boggles the mind.

I have always been very fascinated by turbine jet engines. just the sound of the engine spinning up, then igniting, it just brings goose-bumps to my skin :D to me, it just sounds like real power.

~Travis

AWOL

I would rather strap a turbine jet engine to my car roof
That little motor and fan is a turbine jet engine!
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

travis_farmer

That little motor and fan is a turbine jet engine!
technically, yes, but not really what i would prefer ;)

~Travis

allanhurst

Here in the UK natural gas is pumped around the country through 1-metre pipelines at 3000psi. They use RB211 gas turbines, and have been working well for decades.

Allan

wilykat

I seems to remember an unusual engine that was so big it used a jet engine as a starter to crank the big one.

allanhurst

Oct 14, 2017, 02:08 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2017, 11:33 am by allanhurst
Any modern airliner uses it's gas turbine APU to start the main engines.

Allan

TomGeorge

Any modern airliner use it's gas turbine APU to start to start the main engines.

Allan
If i remember what my dad said, on 4 engine prop planes, eg Avro Lancaster, engine number 3 and 2 were started first as they had the generators fitted.
Then you started the others.
http://www.airpages.ru/eng/mn/lan_04.shtml
Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Go Up